Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water accumulation port settee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water accumulation port settee
    Posted: 06 July 2021 at 11:59pm
Hi all,

I recently noticed some water accumulation in an area I'd never noticed: the port settee just forward of the stove.  This is the small triangular shaped berth where the water tank goes (mine was removed long ago and never replaced so nope, thats not the source of the leak.)

After a weekend trip where we had minimal rain and motored the whole way (no heeling), I noticed the water.  I'm pretty sure it wasnt there a few days prior but am not 100% positive.  The water had absorbed into the wood of the cabinet side panel by the stove and the wood had swelled and smelled musty, so perhaps it had been there a while.

Inspection of the hull's interior demonstrated no water streaks or indications of water intrusion.

I cleaned up the water and put a fan to it for a few days.  The pictures below are from after I dried it out:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e7ff2LZMrPxz3wiUA

Anyone have any thoughts as to where this water could have come from?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 8:07am
Hi Chris,
My ice box and sink drains have some leaks. So when the thru-hull is closed, the water backs up and the hose fittings leak. Then the water can make it's way forward.
I have reconfigured so the sink goes to the thru-hull and is normally closed. The icebox is drained by a free hose with an in-line shutoff which I take to the bilge or a bucket when I want to drain it.
With this config there is no chance to get sea water pumping into the ice box from an open seacock.
john
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 12:01pm
I haven't experienced any leaks in the drain under my sink or icebox.  There was no water in the cabinet area there.  Both my icebox and sink hoses drain down to a t-connector then to the thru hull under the sink. 

I also experience the same issue if the thru hull is open, when we're hard over on starboard tack, water siphons up and partially fills the icebox.  But being on Lake Superior (cold, fresh water) we've learned that so long as we only put cans of beer in there and not food, then it chills the beer for us by the end of the race  :-)
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 7:10am
Hi Chris

Have you checked to see if you have good deck to hull seal in that area.  Water can be channeled in if the rub rail has been compromised.

Dick #122
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 9:03am
I was thinking that'd be the next step.  Spray a hose along the rub rail in that area and see if water comes in...
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 11:45am
It could be the shroud chainplates, hull deck joint or window.

Normally there is a check valve in the sink/ice box drain hose close to the through hull.
Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 1:21pm
And after you figure out if it is the hull joint leaking, someone can post how to fix that! I'm still back on broken hatch (crew stepped on it when it was partially open ...... UGH) replacement. Much support on that from the Ontario Laser 28 FB folks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic