Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Bushings
    Posted: 07 February 2021 at 4:57pm
Has anyone replaced the rudder bushings ? How do they come out and any tip on where to buy some ? 

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2021 at 7:03am
Hi John,

I assume you are talking about the plastic bushings that go on top of the rudder post and the spacer between hull and rudder.  I had several made for me from a local shop of different widths (couple of pics here (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlMdboNP9uz7guEx9VeaJpXNKVdWgA?e=0hQEHZ). For me I had one on top (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlMdboNP9uz7guEyThMIXfzKJXNDPQ?e=waHS4G) and then the one below (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlMdboNP9uz7goJ8emfPQuTm6vAAaQ).

I have several "in stock" if you can't find anyone near you to make these, let me know.  - bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:43am
Hi Bill,

My rudder is very sticky so I am going to drop the rudder this weekend before I launch the boat.   Denise at Evolution told me that there is a sleeve around the rudder post that get's gunked up and needs to be cleaned.  I was looking at your pics from this forum post and I realized that I dont have a teflon ring on my rudder in between the top of the rudder and the hull like is shown in one of your pictures. 

I may need to replace the top ring and add the ring between the rudder and hull.  Do you still have rings available?  Also, have you dropped the rudder and cleaned the teflon sleeve that Denise indicated to me?

Thanks,
Jamie Holley
Manchester, MA
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 12:13pm
I believe the 'sleeve' you reference is the fiberglass column that holds the rudder post. I would just run a cleaning rag thru it to make sure it's clear.
You should have nylon ring(s) under the cap to reduce wear and keep the rudder a little closer to the hull. I could take a measurement on the ring I have.
Hopefully your binding is not being caused by a bent rudder post. Unfortunately, I have experience with a bent rudder post.
John
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:01pm
Hi Jamie, 

Yes, I do have some rings tho the ones I have are for the top post (think bushings) and I might have an extra for the rudder/hull spacer - need to go take a look in my boxes of boat stuff I don't throw away.  I'll go look and get back to you.  

Dropping the rudder isn't a hard thing but you need to have lots of space to drop it down, remember the rudder post is a part of the unit so add that length to the rudder.  If you can find a drop off where you can back the trailer to and then drop it, that'll help.  Have someone ready to hold and/or have a holder in place when you loosen the bolts at the top.

Cleaning is easy and I also recommend cleaning the inner tube the rudder post fits within.

Shared lesson learned, take a picture of how the tiller attaches to the rudder post, this is the wrong way in pictures 2 Items that I figured out after I had launched and had started sailing towards my docks!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:11pm
Thanks Everyone,

I will drop rudder this weekend and see if I need rings.  

I don't have a place with a drop off, so I am planning on digging a hole under the rudder to accommodate.  
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:18am
Dropped the rudder and found a lot of dried up grease.

I wound up cleaning the shaft and o-ring and reassembled without any grease. 

We'll see how this lasts.  The rudder is definitely less stiff...but still is more stiff than I expected (i have only owned the boat 3 years so not sure what it is supposed to feel like).  I also lighly sanded the shaft and inside of the 2 sleeves (with 400 grit).    

The previous owner had used silicone to secure the lower sleeve into the housing.  I removed all the silicone and re-installed without it.  It is just floating in the housing now.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 7:38am
Sorry Jamie for delay, couldn't find where I had stored them!  Have 2 really thin, 1 a little thicker, 3 of the same and 1 large that could be cut down.  Images (2 Items) and I can measure if you need.
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:11am
Hi Bill, Your link takes me to some older rudder pics you shared but I don't see the bushings you are referencing FYI, john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic