Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water leaking around main engine seal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leaking around main engine seal.
    Posted: 20 September 2020 at 11:09am
Hi Everyone,

On way in from race yesterday we noticed water in the cabin sole.

The water was coming from the engine. I could see water pooling on top of the black rubber membrane under the engine. When we got to the mooring i shut the engine down and cleaned up the water.

There was no more leak. I turned the engine back on and a lot of water started to accumulate again.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Also we snapped our tiller earlier that in our race. Does anyone know if there is a shop with designs for our tiller that I can order?

Thanks.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2020 at 2:11pm
Hi Jamie, 

Sorry about your engine and I am no help there however I am sure the many experts on this list will provide guidance. I can help with the rudder, company called Rudder Craft in Boise, ID makes our rudders and a custom tiller, here's the link https://store.ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=181_151&product_id=781 ($259 is current price)  I worked with a gent name Joel, contact info below. Good luck!  - bill
Joel Santarone
General Manager
Rudder Craft Inc.
208-375-2204 shop
866-400-2204 toll free
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 6:03am
Hello, the membrane is kind of a catch-all. Since you only see water with the engine running, I would think you've got a leak in the cooling system somewhere.
The water pump is on the port side and pushes the water up to the head via hose. Check that the water pump cover is tight and the hose clamps on the hoses are secure. Stuff some paper towels in the area and isolate the leak. john
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 7:24am
Thanks John.

I only looked on the starboard side of the engine.  The hose that moves water on that side of the engine was not leaking.  I will check the other side.

I don't really understand how the membrane works.   I thought that there was some sort of alarm that goes off when the membrane integrity is broken, so hopefully it is the coolant.

My engine shakes a lot when it runs.   It often shake the air intake manifold  off of the engine and I have to keep reinstalling it.   So maybe it just shook something loose.

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 8:00am
The membrane is actually 2 rubber donuts (for redundancy I assume).
There is a outer metal ring which you can see that squishes the outer edge of the membrane to the hull. And in the center of the membranes there is a hole where the engine mates with the saildrive. When the connection comes together it squishes the inner circle of the membrane together.
The engine shakes pretty good because it's one cylinder. The air cleaner can be fickle if you don't get the compression ring tight enough. Which is a little tough because it's tightened with a screwdriver.
The engine is sitting on front and rear metal cross members which sit on 2 motor mounts in the front and 2 in the rear. I've had these cross members break near the motor mount holes. If these break it will exaggerate the engine movement.
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2020 at 11:04am
Hi Everyone,

I was able to investigate the source of my water leak yesterday and contributors were correct.  It is not coming through the seal.

It is coming out of a hole on the top of the engine.  The water is hot and dirty. 

I am guessing this is not good.

I can't figure out how to post pics on this site, but I posted a pic of the hole on Imgbb.com

https://ibb.co/3fnyWRr
https://ibb.co/tb4hFvB

Any thoughts are appreciated.

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 8:42am
Hi Jamie,
On the diagram you can see there is a small metal cup #2. That is a frost plug that inserts into that hole. Looks like your frost plug is missing. There are frost plugs on the side of the cylinder too.
It should not have gone far. It should be in the engine compartment somewhere. You can tap it back in.
john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic