Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast lights - base connection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast lights - base connection
    Posted: 15 July 2020 at 4:49pm
Greetings all, 

I would like to actually have the lights on my mast work all the time and wondered how others have made theirs work. It appears the 3 electrical lines are in a tube that exits near the base of the mast on starboard - exactly where the pole downhaul line rubs back and forth!  I thought about trying a small exit hole a little further up the mast or to the front but the tube has me befuddled.   Suggestions welcome! -bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 8:28pm
Hey Bill,
On my boat the electrical exits from the mast base and the connecting wires come up thru the center of the post that is below deck.
We have simple plug in jack connectors to mate the connections. We have to mate those connections after we set the mast base prior to raising the mast.
john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2020 at 6:47am
Hi John,
So the wires go thru the mast at the bottom, never exit the mast on the side?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2020 at 8:12am
That is correct Bill. The wiring comes out near the bottom of the mast post inside the boat. Then it sneaks into the starboard bench and routes from there with the wiring for depth and speed. john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 2:57pm
Just want to follow up John, thru the base of the mast, not an exit from a side at the base?   
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 12:54pm
Comet came with the wires leading out the port side of the mast itself. There were holes in the deck to run the wires inside. At the start of my second season of ownership my rigger switched it after drilling a hole in the mast base. We now are set up as Fatjohnz describes. Cleaner and doesn't get tangled up in lines or what ever.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:09pm
Any pictures would really help me, I am having trouble envisioning this.  And anyone who can share how yours is set up would be greatly appreciated.  
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 3:07pm
Can't show you anything with the mast up!
GIGGITY View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GIGGITY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 10:06am
I can take a picture of mine this afternoon. My master is down while im doing some work on the boat. My wires come through the base of the mast and into the mast step
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 10:36am
Thanks all and I'm open to other solutions that work too.  I can feel the tube the wires are in inside the mast but the little (really little!) hole they exit from on starboard is where I am trying to find a better solution so they don't get pulled and rubbed by the pole downhaul line.   Thanks all!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 9:50am
Greetings all, I have a follow up question regarding the wire. I am looking for a replacement and what's on the boat has 3 wires and is circular, what I am finding around here is 4 wires and rectangular.  Pretty sure I am missing the obvious and would appreciate any suggestions on finding the replacement wire.  In advance thanks!  - bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 10:03am
Hi Bill,
Search for 'marine triplex'.
Here is an example from Jamestown Distributors
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=14014&familyName=Ancor+Marine+Grade+Tinned+Copper+Duplex%2FTriplex+Round+Cable
john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 8:46am
Thank you John!!!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2020 at 10:16am
Also found another option, Ancor Marine Grade Electrical Bilge Pump Premium Tinned Copper 3-Cable Wiring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NI1F7G/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_FRvwFbJ39H9JE  Free shipping if you have prime, $81/100' roll.  FYI to share.
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic