Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bulkhead compass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bulkhead compass
    Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:14pm
My compass has spider cracks in the glass and is leaking.  Figure it's time for a new one.

I'm assuming my compass is original.  It's mounted on the bulkhead to port of the companionway hatch.

Any suggestions for an easy replacement (i.e. not needing to cut more holes or do glasswork)?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:06pm
Coincidentally, I just bought the Plastimo Contest 130 to replace same model previously installed in my boat.
The hole cutout pattern looks slightly different from the existing hole. There is a square dongle on the bottom of the compass not present on the previous. It holds a small package that will adjust the compass deviation. I'll likely be at the boat tomorrow checking fit.
john

Edited by fatjohnz - 02 July 2020 at 2:49pm
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 9:56pm
I removed my compass.  There's no name on it anywhere to identify make/model.  However the mounting screws are 95mm apart and the unit as a whole is 110mm square.  The hole in the bulkhead is 70mm.

Looking at Platismo and Ritchie compasses, none of them for sale nowadays use a 95mm mounting hole arrangement so it looks like I'm gonna be drilling.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic