Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternate Method To Shutdown Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternate Method To Shutdown Engine
    Posted: 27 June 2020 at 11:32am
Hi Everyone,

My stop solenoid has failed and I want to keep using the boat while I await parts.

Is there an alternate method to shut down the engine?  I seem to remember reading something in the Forum but my searches are coming up empty.

Any help is appreciated.

Tx.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 11:48am
The solenoid connects to a high pressure shutoff lever. You can attach a thin line to the lever and run it into the starboard lazarette from the backside of the control panel. Or you can drill a hole in the corner of the lazarette for more direct routing.
Then you pull the line from near where the ignition switch is and stall the engine. I have made this a permanent solution because the solenoids are so expensive.
john
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 4:41am
Jamie,
Check out Bill's blog on this forum. I believe he used a bicycle brake cable from the shutoff lever, and mounted it in the starboard lazarette. The solenoid is expensive.
Make sure that the connection has not fallen off. That happened to me.
Bob
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 9:42am
Thanks.  Bob.

I actually wound up removing the solenoid and the moving parts on the engine.

Cleaning and greasing them and it seems to be working again for now.

There was just a lot of friction in the linked components.

When the solenoid fails, I am going to use the bycicle brake idea.   That sounds like a good an reliable solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic