Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle response

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle response
    Posted: 21 June 2020 at 8:53am
Was out yesterday and the engine was running fine . Came off the throttle for a bit  to idle and when I tried to accelerate again the engine did not speed up . Tried forward and reverse - no increase in RPM prop spinning and moving  at idle speed .  Then it fixed itself and was fine . Tried it again at dock - fine . Starts no problem .  Seemed almost like the governor was stuck 

Any thoughts ? 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2020 at 1:02pm
I don't have my boat in front of me but you should check the linkages.
On the engine, the throttle arm is behind the starter and held in place by a nut and key. Check that the nut has not loosened letting the arm move independent of the throttle.
While you're there you'll see a pivot plate and some other linkage connections. Check those for binding.
Then check the throttle arm that is inside the boat on the back of the cockpit throttle lever. I can't remember how they engage without looking ... but while someone in the cockpit is moving the throttle lever, make sure the arm inside the boat is responding and not slipping due to a loose nut or binding linkage.
john
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2020 at 4:38pm
Thanks John . Found it , it was a loose connection on the fuel pump and when I was running a full throttle , something I rarely do , I must have sucked in a little air . Cleared at idle . Funny you mention linkages because I had to fix the linkages on a friends Laser today - they fell apart . We rebuilt the engine last winter and whoever put them back on must have missed tightening them . I added a little locktite just to be sure . 

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic