Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Not Turning Over

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Not Turning Over
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:28am
Last year I had a crew member try and start my boat.  He turned the key and nothing happened.  I panicked, went and turned the key and everything was fine.  I chalked it up to him not turning the key properly.

First sail of the season today, single handed, sunny weather, decent breeze.  Engine started to get out, wouldn't start to get back in.  

Lots of Battery Power, lights all came on, I suspect no power to the starter from a faulty ignition.

Couple things
-Anyone else experienced this issue?  Is it the starter?  I looked at the wiring diagram and there are lots of other components between the key and the starter.  Guidance would be appreciated.

-Everyone try and pull start their engine at the dock.  I was unsuccessful.  Just tonight I read Bill's description on how to find the compression first.  I was able to sail back to the dock (big confidence booster) but want to get that engine started without the starter for future knowledge.

- and yes, I have already placed the call to the previously mentioned crew to tell them a "funny story"
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 7:27am
Ignition problems can be tough to figure out.
On the bottom of the starter are 2 nuts. Make sure they are secure. Do this with power off to avoid a surprise.
With power on, you can short those two nuts together and the starter should go. This is a way to fire the starter without the ignition.
The green wire on the side of the starter carries the 12v signal from the ignition to tell the starter to fire. Check that connection.
Then follow that green wire a short distance to the harness. Make sure the harness is securely connected.
All that said, the most likely cause of the problem is a loose wire or bad connection at the ignition switch. Make sure the wires are firmly connected to their little connectors and that the connectors fit snugly on their tabs. If something feels loose, squish the connector end a little.
If that doesn't work, get the electric meter and wiring diagram ; -)
john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 7:57am
I had a similar situation last summer, lights came on, music played.... but the battery wasn't charged enough to start the engine. I did what John noted with checking connectors, and then meter back to the culprit - new battery and it worked fine.  Oh... and to be totally honest I hadn't checked the water levels in the previous battery so do that too (have reminders in my calendar now so I don't forget!).  - bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Geoff Coke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:25am
Solved
I went in with a plan.....  1st confirm that power was getting to the starter - check.  Hey, whats that loose wire there!!

One of the signal wire connected to the starter had come loose.  

Thanks for your help

Edited by Geoff Coke - 31 May 2020 at 9:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic