Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sail Area Of Class Spinnaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sail Area Of Class Spinnaker
    Posted: 29 April 2020 at 4:31pm
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the sail area of the class spinnaker?  

I read through old forum posts and they indicate that the brochure states 670 sq.ft. , "but that number is incorrect".   Nowhere in the post does anyone indicate the actual number.

I need this for my PHRF certificate.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2020 at 7:25pm
For your PHRF you should submit the actual dimensions of your largest spinnaker and your pole length.
In the future you might investigate what could affect your rating +/-
john
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2020 at 10:41am
Thanks John.   I am going through the process of figuring out all of that now.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to my class spinnaker right now.  I was hoping that someone could tell me how the OD spinnakers are sized.  I have a Doyle spinnaker sold by the Montreal loft back in 2009 or 2010.  

I know that I have a class OD spinnaker as I have seen pictures of my boat sailing in previous Nationals using this spinnaker.

Thanks.

I see the class rules state: 
Max. Luff 10.06 M (33 ft.). 
Max. Girth 5.97 M (19.59 ft).  

Formula:
SF x SL/ 2 + 2(SMG - SF/ 2) SL/ 3.   I have no idea what the SMG is.... 

where: 
SF = Width of foot; measured round the edge of the sail between the lowest point on the leeches. 
SL = Leech length, measured round the edge of the sail from the highest point on the sail at the head to the lowest point of the sail on the leech. If the two are not equal, SL shall be the mean of the two leech lengths. 
SMG = Width at half height; shall be taken as twice the distance between the mid-point of the leech shall be determined by measuring round the edge of the sail half the length of the leech from the head. 
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 4:34pm
Jamie,

Not sure if this will help.  I just stumbled across a NS spinnaker quote for 2018 for my Laser, and remembered your question.  Here is what the quote says.

Isp: 9.671m Area: 52.68m2
Spl: 3.450m
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:03am
That does help Ron.   Thanks so much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic