Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Letellier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric wiring
    Posted: 03 February 2020 at 10:56pm
I am doing a checkup of the entire electric system.
I am relying on the blueprint of pages 49 and 50 of the manual.
The one on page 50 is confusing, especially in describing the connections above the engine.
Did anyone come up with a better drawing, and would be ready to share?

Best
Eric
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 7:53am
It's just a terminal block that feeds power and ground to the sternlight and dome light above the engine and to the head light on early boats. Most owners also used that terminal block to feed power the any instruments that got installed over the lifetime of the boat and for that reason can turn out to be a mess. The end result is that what is there now probably doesn't resemble the original wiring at all. All original wiring that was red is +12v and all black wires were ground. You will need to trace where all the wires go, to figure out what's what.

Edited by Bill Layton - 04 February 2020 at 7:55am
Eric Letellier View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Letellier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 4:03pm
Thank you Bill, you are absolutely right.
I went through my electric checkup and found out some discrepancies with the diagram, most probably inserted by one of the previous owners while installing the sound system.
Useful exercise, now I know what feeds what, and why some of the appliances weren't working.
I am replacing damaged or under-dimensioned cables for the proper gage, including the wiring in the mast, and everything lamp is replaced by LED ones.
Thank you
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 5:23pm
Be sure to use tin coated wires.. proper marine wire. Copper will corrode quickly. West marine has a good assortment
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 9:43pm
Hey Bill,
As long as you are thinking about wiring, assuming you recall, how are the steaming and anchor light wired?  I have never successfully had both lights working.  I have a black, white and green three wire going up the mast.  Is that the original wire? How should they be connected to the steaming and anchor light?

Thanks
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 10:48am
The anchor light (masthead) is green
Steaming Light is white
Common is ground black
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic