Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hauling aloft best practice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hauling aloft best practice?
    Posted: 01 October 2019 at 6:48am
Greetings all, 

Just curious what others found as most efficient to haul folks aloft.  Had to go retrieve an errant halyard and using the jib/genny halyards from secondary lading down to primary winches I kept getting a wrap on the primary with the angle.  Eventually went from secondary to a block on stanchion near the primary and that worked but wondered if there is a trick I am missing.  Thanks!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 7:33am
Normally we would hoist on the main halyard with a jib halyard as a safety. We use the cabin top winches (they are upgraded).
Our primary winches have a turning block on the deck to provide low entry as you did with the stanchion block. If we used the primaries to hoist someone we would run the halyards thru the turning block to prevent over-wrap.
js
p.s. We don't trust someone's life to a snap shackle so the leads are bent onto the bosun chair.

Edited by fatjohnz - 01 October 2019 at 7:57am
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 11:18am
With you on snap shackles, I used bowlines on both halyards and bounced tested me before I let my daughter be hoisted.  Curious about the upgraded winches, I didn't trust the small Maxwell's alone hence my lead down to the primary Maxwell's. What have you upgraded to?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 1:08pm
I switched to Harken self tailers for primary and secondary. The (old now) B32.2STA was a good fit for the primary base, built into the boat. There are some forum discussions about making a larger base-plate for newer winches that are a bit bigger. john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic