Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gelcoat cabin top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GIGGITY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gelcoat cabin top
    Posted: 18 July 2019 at 6:42pm
I'm having a lot of cracks show up in what I believe is gelcoat down below especially in the v-birth area. Has anyone just removed that layer and painted the fiberglass? I'm just looking for ways to make the cabin look good.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:07am
What is number is your boat?
GIGGITY View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GIGGITY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:10am
It's 103.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:25am
Ok this is one of the early L28's and the interior fairing of the underside of the deck is unknown. I saw this problem on boat # 102 and they sanded out all the cracks and refaired it... it was the fairing and not the glass that cracked. I'm unclear on what they used to fair the underside but this problem happened to 3 of the very early boats. I've never seen any fiberglass cracking, just the fairing. Hope this helps.
GIGGITY View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GIGGITY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:32am
Okay that sounds good. Yeah I didn't see any cracks in the fiberglass. I do have some very soft spots on the deck between the mast and the forward hatch. There is a lot of flexing there so that may be part of the reason it's cracking underneath. Thanks for the help!
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:51am
There's a large piece of plywood under the mast deck casting used in the fiberglass sandwich. On some boats this had water get into it and cause delamination. I would suggest a moisture check around that area first before you make other assumptions. But there is some foam in the area you describe. The early decks were indeed more flexible than the later decks so some of this is normal.
GIGGITY View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GIGGITY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 1:14pm
Thanks for that info. I'll get my hands on a moisture meter and check that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic