Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soundproof engine compartment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundproof engine compartment
    Posted: 04 May 2019 at 4:59pm
The black foam material on the back of the steps on my boat has degraded and is now shedding off in a messy fashion.

In looking for a replacement, it made me consider using peel and stick soundproofing material to try and reduce overall engine noise.

Has anyone tried this and what was your experience with it?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:43am
I have not done it yet Chris but I was told to use anchors with speed nuts (rather than peel & stick).
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1072&title=Soundown+Installation+Instructions+for+Sound+Proofing+Materials
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:48am
Yes I should have clarified that I would also use fasteners for extra support, but I did wonder if the peel and stick might give slightly better soundproofing due to the better contact with the bulkheads.  Or maybe it's the other way around as less contact means less chance of transmitting noise?

Those fasteners on the Jamestown website look unnecessarily complex and also leave you with a sharp tip.  I'd probably just use SS #6 screws with a plastic washer and screw them into the bulkhead.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 4:42pm
The foil covered foam that's stuck on the engine side of the steps was a pointless exercise when we built the boat. All the panels are wood and not insulated so at this age the foil covered foam is disintegrating and falling off and making a mess. I have been removing it completely as there is no point in having it unless the bottom of the cockpit is covered too along with both engine panels and the rear panel. Doing all this with something that would work would be quite heavy and most of us use the boat for racing purposes only. With this in mind adding weight doesn't make much sense.
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 4:46pm
Whatever you use it should be fire resistant . Some foams can be pretty flammable.  I agree with Bill , given the 1/4 inch uninsulated side panels and cockpit sole I doubt it does much to reduce sound .  
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:29am
I scraped the degrading foam off the back of the steps and replaced it with this stuff:

It's sold as 10mm thick but it was only maybe 6-7mm so I put two sheets down and screwed it in place in case the adhesive doesn't hold.  I used an app on my phone to measure noise rating with the engine running before and after the installation and there was no difference at all.

Considering the lack of difference, I'm reconsidering my plan to apply this stuff to the entire engine compartment.  I will say that a 20" x 160" roll of this stuff was very light.  Maybe a pound at most.  So I wouldn't worry much about adding weight to the boat with this stuff. The question is whether it works well enough to warrant the trouble.  Some sound deadening materials that are butyl based are much heavier.

Edited by Winner - 09 June 2019 at 9:31am
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 6:12pm
Looks like the right stuff . Issue is there are so many ways sound will get transferred including through the motor mounts to the glass .  Does it soak up moisture ?  I like this - fire and fuel resistant
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 12:27pm
I think trying to soundproof the engine is a waste of time. Without a huge amount of trouble, expense, and weight gain you won't make it happen. Far too much sound leakage opportunity with the boat constructed as is.
Not to mention that the engine side panels terminate aft to a small athwartship panel that does not go completely to the top. Sealing all this up would be a big project. The best one can do while motoring is put the storm boards in to block noise from the cabin and close cockpit windows (if your boat has them), and that's it. If you are downstairs, then you must learn to enjoy the sound of the engine.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 1:09pm
Diesel powered sailboats are not required to have engine compartment blowers because Diesel fuel is not easy to ignite. For those who are not aware.. you can have an open gallon of diesel fuel and throw a lit match into it and it will not catch fire. The only way diesel ignites is that it must be atomized into a fine mist before it will combust. That only occurs during the compression stroke in the diesel or Diesel will ignite if it reaches it's flash point. Diesel fuel flash points vary between 52 and 96 °C (126 and 205 °F) whereas Gasoline has a much lower flashpoint and ignites rapidly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic