Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zincs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zincs
    Posted: 30 April 2019 at 5:40pm
Does anyone have a North American supplier for the zincs? I've found them in Europe but so far, striking out on this continent.

My yard is looking for a lower seal unit and the Louisiana supplier will be ordering through Europe. Putting my launch off two weeks unless I chance it and do a quick haul later. Always something!
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2019 at 7:19pm
There are not many shops who sell Bukh parts. Europe is the only solution and their pricing is quite good compared to past dealers in North America.

I use LSM Diesel in Denmark as they seem to have better pricing than Bukh...
http://www.lsm-diesel.dk/2012/bestil.php?lang=uk&txk=initshop&n0=4&n1=Partnr.&n2=Beskrivelse&n3=Pris%20ekskl.%20moms&n4=Antal

more info:

Best fuel filter for our Bukh is Fram P4506PL it's for european diesel
trucks (just learned this) available at most autoparts stores her in North America, much cheaper than the comparable Bukh part.

I had to change the top plate crank seal (under the flywheel) and this
one worked fine (much cheaper)
https://www.amazon.ca/Precision-42X56X7-Seal/dp/B00A8CS7SM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526228267&sr=8-4&keywords=seal+56+x+42+x+7

I have used these prop shaft seals with success a few times
(substantially cheaper than Bukh)
https://www.boats.net/product/tohatsu/346650130#

Fuel Lift pump (better design)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruggerini-Fuel-pump-Marine-engine-FIDO-RD-1-CRD-1/152139263679?hash=item236c34eebf:g:nHEAAOSwwpdW71QL

Substantially cheaper and this fuel pump's mounting flange doesn't warp and therefore does not leak oil. The original Bukh fuel lift pumps warp on both axis's and leak oil as a result.
This new one has a thicker stronger designed flange. You use the gasket
it comes with and it works great. All you have to get are 2 x cap screws
as there isn't enough space to use the nuts that are used on the
original pump. This means you remove the studs and replace them w/ cap
screws.

Edited by Bill Layton - 30 April 2019 at 7:21pm
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2019 at 10:10pm
Has anyone found a source for a magnesium anode that will fit our saildrive?  I've read in multiple sources that for FRESH WATER, magnesium is a better choice as it is less noble than zinc so protects the saildrive components better. 

In fact, the American Boat and Yacht Council only recommends magnesium for freshwater use.

As a bonus, it is better for the environment.

Since a magnesium anode only lasts 1/3 as long as a zinc, it is not recommended for saltwater use as it would corrode away during the course of a single season.  Freshwater, being much less conductive, does not have this issue.  

The drawback is the increased replacement schedule, since the prop needs to be removed in order to replace the anode on the L28.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 4:55pm
Thanks Bill on the Fuel pump tip - easy swap and no more oil leak . Factory one has a visible warp . Engine started right back up without a hiccup after just pumping the primer lever a bunch of times.  

Is there a cross for the Thermostat . I know Bukh no doubt did not make it , and it probably is in other engines . Friends Laser, #104 seems to be running stone cold - think the old owner maybe  took out the stat.  
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 9:43pm
No idea on the thermostat. I would suggest you take it to a large automotive store and see if they can find a match... I agree it certainly can't be worth $100 plus.
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:07am
If I can get a cross , I will post it .  Certainly not a $100 part . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic