Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water Pump Mistery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water Pump Mistery
    Posted: 24 April 2019 at 10:35am
I have a problem that's driving me crazy - maybe one of you can tell me what could be wrong.

I have a new, rebuilt engine that I purchased from Bill Layton. I installed the engine and it runs fine. However, I can't get the raw-water system pumping and I've burned up one impeller trying.

The pump that came with the engine, presumably installed by Bill, looks new. It's defiantly installed correctly, the impeller turns in the correct direction (CCW) and the hoses are connected correctly. I know the suction hoses are all clear to the through hull. I pulled the outlet side house off the pump and was easily able to blow air in.

I pulled the pump outlet hose off the top of the engine and sucked water easily up to that point. I then closed the seacock and blew as hard as I could and can find no sign of a leak. I then sucked as hard as I could, so my lips were 'stuck' to the end of the hose, and the vacuum held. I don't think I'm sucking air.

With water pulled up to the end of the outlet hose, I reinstalled the hose to the thermostat housing cover and opened the seacock. Started the engine but no water is coming out of the exhaust. The water pump housing quickly got hot to the touch so I know the impeller's turning inside.

I'm not a diesel mechanic, but I'm not stupid either. I've replaced the water pump before (on the old engine) and I've had my engine out before and reinstalled without any problems.

Any thoughts?     
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:13am
Actually on second thought to test the muffler you would be best to take the hose off the port side of the  thermostat housing that leads to the exhaust manifold and blow in that hose to see if anything comes out the muffler. You'll probably have to remove the exhaust hose from the muffler. Also be sure exhaust valve is closed on compression stroke as the air you blow will go thru the exhaust valve if not closed.

Edited by Bill Layton - 24 April 2019 at 11:18am
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:22am
Thanks for the suggestions Bill. I will give that a try, though I doubt the muffler is blocked. Exhaust comes out the muffler the few moments I run the engine. Also, when I got your engine I very carefully cleaned the old plastic muffler from my old engine and installed it on yours. While cleaning nothing seemed amiss.

I also plan to remove the hose from the exhaust elbow, run the engine briefly, and see if water comes out.      
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 12:16pm
The internal baffles can and do melt and this can allow exhaust to get out while blocking the water. It is a waterlock muffler. Unfortunately when this happens it's all internal and not visible on the outside of the muffler. Also there is a cumulative effect when running the engine without water coming out. It can take a few times to melt the baffles yet it'll run fine until it doesn't. Your not the original owner and you just melted an impeller. Due to these reasons I would suggest there is a strong possibility of melted baffles in the interior of your muffler.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic