Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil leak
    Posted: 24 March 2019 at 7:53am
I have a small oil drip off the bottom of the fuel pump . Hoping it is just the gasket to the engine and it will go away if I tighten . Anyone else had a similar drip ? 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2019 at 8:45am
I found the oil pressure sending unit was the sorce of my oil leak.
Dick #122
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2019 at 10:58am
every engine leaks from the bottom of the fuel lift pump. In fact when the engines arrived in Canada new in the crate they were leaking from the fuel lift pump. It's the most common leak on these engines. It's because the fuel lift pump flange warps after it's installed. Some are worse than others. Tightening it doesn't help in my opinion unless the bolts are loose.

Fuel Lift pump (better design)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruggerini-Fuel-pump-Marine-engine-FIDO-RD-1-CRD-1/152139263679?hash=item236c34eebf:g:nHEAAOSwwpdW71QL

This fuel pump doesn't warp and therefore does not leak oil. The original Bukh fuel lift pump flange warps on both axis's and leaks oil as a result. This new one has a thicker stronger designed flange. You use the gasket it comes with and it works great. All you have to get are 2 x cap screws as there isn't enough space to use the nuts that are used on the original pump. This means you remove the studs and replace them w/ cap screws (ones that use an allen key)
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 4:18pm
Thanks Bill - figured I was not the first with the problem 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic