Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder weight
    Posted: 20 March 2019 at 12:20pm
Anyone have a number for our rudder weight?  I'm trying to determine how soggy mine is.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2019 at 1:06pm
Boat # 147 more than likely has a rudder that is 100% high density polyurethane foam only... same construction as the laser foils. Not a stitch of fiberglass in them. They do not absorb water at all but if you use a moisture meter on them they show high moisture. I've never seen one fail yet. Surveyors do not know or understand this and immediately claim they have moisture in them which leads everyone to believe there is an impending problem.
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2019 at 11:48pm
Thanks Bill.  No surveyor involved.  Just me.  The rudder had blisters so I pulled and brought it home to investigate.  It has a slight split/crack on 8 inches or so of the leading edge as well.  It's wet inside, although I don't believe its soaked.  I drilled 3 holes in the bottom and have drained less than a quarter cup of water from the rudder over the last 6 days. Nothing coming out anymore.  Subsequently drilled 3 more holes in the side to check moisture.  One hole displayed moisture. Where it was wet, the foam inside appear to be typical wet, yellow, sandy looking foam to me on the end of the drill.  The skin looks like fiberglass.  

My plan...  I've built a dehumidifier chamber.  I intend to dry it out over the next month, epoxy repair the split and four minor blister spots in the glass, then epoxy the entire rudder.  I don't think I have a structural problem at all, but don't want blisters disturbing flow over the rudder or a heavy rudder. 

Ron  
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic