FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lack of cooling water flow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lack of cooling water flow
    Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:00pm
i guess i would check that the impeller is good and the water pressure coming off the impeller unit is good. bypass the filter to test if the pressure is better. js
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:09am
Nope its an aftermarket one.  Installed about 5 years ago.  Exact same model as on Decompression.  The seal on it appears solid but I could try lubricating the o-ring.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:18am
If your still using the original water strainer it's likely to be sucking air in. If not are you sure the one your using isn't sucking air?
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:03am
So, started the engine with the boat on the trailer to dewinterize last weekend.  Engine started immediately, but no water flow (I had the hose detached from the thru hull and in a bucket of water.

So I quickly removed the hose from where it connects to the muffler and voila, water instantly began flowing.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far.  Most seem to suggest some sort of blockage of debris is the problem but I'm not so sure.  If it was a blockage, I don't know how simply detaching the hose from the manifold momentarily and reattaching it would be sufficient to get the water flowing.  I suspect some sort of air blockage in the line that I'm effectively "burping" from the line when I remove the hose.

I could also try unscrewing the cap in the intake strainer by the fuel tank to see if that burps the line as effectively as well.

I'm open to other suggestions.  Last time I had a water flow problem I ended up replacing all the hoses and the problem disappeared but I never figured out the cause.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 12:33pm
Not sure if this is related to your issue but I've had problems with the intake getting clogged. It seems when she is at dock, small bits of floating debris and grass find their way up into the thru hull.
When you loosen the strainer cap it might be letting the intake line back-flush.
I've installed a T before the strainer and the extra leg has a shut off. {Some people use this extra leg to suck anti-freeze when winterizing}. If I suspect a clog I can open the shut off and back-flush by blowing into the line.
john
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Ron Waterson Ron Waterson wrote:

Hey Chris,

Writing this from a 6 year old memory......When I first purchased my Laser, I had a rust obstruction in the metal connection point where the small rubber hose connects to the thermostat on the starboard side of the motor.  I was getting partial water flow (didn't realize that at the time) and a consistent, slow rise to overheating.  I pulled the hose off, stuck my marlin spike in the connection point and water with rust debris poured out instantly. Cant remember which end was clogged so try both.   Never had a problem again.  I don't think water was flowing freely through the thermostat, which likely led to it not opening in a timely manner.  Worth checking...Two hose clamps and a little wrestling match in a tight space if I recall correctly.

Ron

Hi Ron yes thats a spot worth checking, as well as the water inlet pipe on starboard side below the air intake. See my May 21, 2016 post in this at:  http://laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=546&KW=&PID=3310&title=preventative-maintenance-tip-for-cooling-system#3310
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 11:38am
Hey Chris,

Writing this from a 6 year old memory......When I first purchased my Laser, I had a rust obstruction in the metal connection point where the small rubber hose connects to the thermostat on the starboard side of the motor.  I was getting partial water flow (didn't realize that at the time) and a consistent, slow rise to overheating.  I pulled the hose off, stuck my marlin spike in the connection point and water with rust debris poured out instantly. Cant remember which end was clogged so try both.   Never had a problem again.  I don't think water was flowing freely through the thermostat, which likely led to it not opening in a timely manner.  Worth checking...Two hose clamps and a little wrestling match in a tight space if I recall correctly.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:43pm
Exactly.  Rust from the block has the potential to clog the water flow just before the small 1/4" barb at the exhaust manifold.  This filter was to prevent that issue.  Fortunately, I've never had the filter actually strain out anything large enough to have been a concern.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 6:16pm
What was the filter for ? There is in inlet strainer before the engine so maybe you might get rust out of the block at worst . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:36am
I don't think so.  I had that problem once before.  Interestingly, I've removed the mesh screen from the inline filter I have installed between the engine water outlet port and the inlet barb to the manifold/muffler and since then the issue hasn't arisen; I was thinking maybe the mesh screen was clogged with soot and maybe was preventing water flow but I checked and it was pretty clean.

For now I'm running the engine with the filter housing in place but without the screen inside it.  May replace with a filter with a slightly coarser mesh screen.  As long as the screen catches debris 1/4" or larger (the ID of the manifold inlet barb) thats sufficient.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:19pm
Guessing here - sucking air on the intake side ? 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:55pm
Getting the boat ready for the season.  Any thoughts by anyone??
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 10:16am
Hi all,

Haven't been as active as usual in this forum, but have been meaning to post a question about an issue we experienced towards the end of last year.

Basically, the engine at startup would not circulate water through the cooling system.  Nothing appears out of the ordinary.  I have a small inline filter installed just before the muffler that I installed at least 5 years ago.  Right now our solution to the problem is to unscrew the cap of the inline filter which somehow gets the water flowing and then we screw it back on.  I cannot find any blockages in the system.  I also tried tightening all the hose clamps (all connections are double clamped).

Anyone have any thoughts as to the culprit?  
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic