Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sailcomp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sailcomp
    Posted: 25 October 2018 at 8:48am
Has anyone had to replace their digital compass... What have you replaced it with?
My sensor has failed and displays direction about 35 degrees West of the conventional compass. It seems to be consistently off so maybe it's still usable for setting headings for lifts and headers... Opinions? thx, john
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2018 at 9:12am
I was looking at the KVH site a few weeks ago and noticed that they don't sell the displays any longer. But they still sell the sensor.

https://www.kvh.com/Leisure/Marine-Systems/Compasses/All-Compass-Systems/AutoComp-1000.aspx
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2018 at 11:10am
Unfortunately the AutoComp 1000 sensor does not use the same connector or communication protocol as the 103AC.js
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2018 at 2:31pm
My Sailcomp display quit but the sailcomp sensor still works. I currently have this fed to a NEMA 0183 multiplexer which also receives NEMA 0183 from my trusty Garmin GPS Map 78X. The multiplexer then feeds a NEMA 0183-to-NEMA 2000 converter which is finally connected to Garmin GMI-20 displays. I have a newer water-speed and depth transducer which is NEMA 2000 and is directly connected to the GMI-20s.

For those who don't know, a "Multiplexer" is required to take two different NEMA 0183 strings and combine them into a single string. Most instruments won't accept more than one 0183 signal. And the GMI-20 only accepts NEMA2000 which is why I have a converter. It's a bit "Rube Goldberg" but it gets the job done and was cheaper than any alternatives I could find.
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:42pm
I went with a Novasail NS360  Does the job of a Pro start , a speed puck and a tactic in one instrument .Multiple lines of read out , switches automatically from race start mode to racing mode.   Pretty happy with it except I am having some issues with the remote control from my I watch . The crew seems to pick up the race timer and pinging the lines right away . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 8:36am
My sailcomp compass failed but the display still works. I will try to remove it intact if someone is interested. john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic