Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine power upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine power upgrade?
    Posted: 25 July 2018 at 12:10am
I've been doing longer transits with my beloved L28, up to 100 miles.  Also, as much as I love the simplicity of the Bukh, I'll admit that when trying to motor the boat into a 15 knot wind and 4 foot waves (or worse at times), I find myself wishing the engine had a bit more oomph.  This is a regular occurrence where I live.

So my question here is whether there is any way to improve the power/efficiency of the engine, horsepower or any other method to maximize the boat's overall ability to motor?  I'm thinking specifically of:

1) Fuel additives that boost performance (without unduly sacrificing engine longevity)
2) Any specific engine modifications that can be done?
3) Gori prop upgrade to something else?  I don't know if I have the 8" or 9.5" version but I note that they seem to make a 8" pitch prop that is 12.5 inches in diameter rather than the standard 11.5".  Would this give better performance while motoring?   http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+gor2BFSD11595

Any other suggestions appreciated?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 9:37am
You need to find out what dimensions your prop is first. Look closely on the body and see if you can read it. 
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 1:12pm
Sheboygan had 5 L28s at one time. At least on boat, Yikes, had a 2 cylinder Yanmar retro fitted.
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 1:29pm
I thought of this topic, and the advice not to motor sail, when I was motoring to Newport, RI this weekend. No sails up but heeling over from the wind as I left the cove where Comet lives. Big eek! I went further across Greenwich Bay so I could get an angle that put the wind and waves mostly on her stern. With gusts in the 20s (I heard someone racing saw 30 ... and a professional managed to put his mast in the water so ..... windy!) and waves the motoring speed ranged from 5 knots to 8 a few times. Favorable tide, too. But certainly work hand steering through the waves. Also single handed so I had to look for lobster pots and other fun stuff, too.

So ... when just motoring: what angle of heel is too much not to create problems?

And yes, I wish it was possible to motor sail, too.

Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 1:48pm
You will have to learn this... some L28's do it earlier than others. What to watch for is oil spraying all over the engine compartment. be sure to check your oil level frequently as there isn't much oil in there to start with. I've seen someone empty their crankcase oil in 15 minutes with too much heel for that particular engine. I wish I could say all L28 Bukhs are the same but they are not.
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 9:19am
Wasn't comet re-powered a few years ago ? I seem to recall inquiring about  her when I was looking and the engine was a DV10 not a DV8 . They are identical sans the injector or something like that  , but I think she was re-powered if I recall correctly . Not sure if the later ones were any better . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:37am
No idea since there was an interim owner. The survey says mine is an 8.2 Bukh. The engine looks new and the oil is still clear.

Edited by Comet - 09 October 2018 at 10:41am
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 10:19am
According to Bill the 8-hp and 10-hp are identical. They are factory set to to the appropriate HP by adjusting the fuel injector adjustment nut which is on the starboard, rear of the engine crank case. Bill told me that this can be adjusted fairly accurately by motoring full speed while adjusting the nut so as to maximize speed without undue smoke. It's a two person operation, one to drive and and another to adjust the screw below. For this to work you must be propped for the HP you are adjusting to. I purchased a used 8-hp though my boat was originally had, and was propped for, a 10-hp engine. When I get the used engine re-built and back in my boat, I intend to re-set it to a 10-hp motor.
Virginia H. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 8:57pm
Sailing on lower Chesapeake Bay I had a 14hp Beta engine installed with a 1" shaft. strut and 2 blade 13"x10" Martec prop. when I bought the boat the Bukh engine was missing and was not  about to buy a $4000.00 rebuilt Bukh and my  aluminum lower unit  , not sure go it's condition.  I race PHRF and was not concerned with with meeting class rules. I did not consider the Beta sail drive due to salt water and uncertain stray electric current at our yacht club. With this set up I can do 6.9 knots and burn 1 gallon per hour. At that speed I pull about a 12" heigh wake. I have been in a 35 knot blow and gusting higher on the bow with three foot seas and have no problem. Hard on me but the boat does not seam to mind. I highly recommend this set up if class rules will allow. 
Good luck

Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:55pm
The only problem with a larger more powerful engine is that they weigh significantly more than the original BUKH engine. The result being is it slows down the boat in class racing. This is fact, and we have seen this before. If your not class racing then it's not a concern but if your selling to a class racer then it's an issue. Something to keep in mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic