Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows
    Posted: 10 November 2004 at 10:22pm
I have a broken window on my starboard side and need to replace the window. Has anyone done this? Where do you get those screws without heads? What kind of plastic do I ask for?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Peggy Sue #154
tonycooke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 11:57pm

John, I spoke with Bill Layton about this a while ago.  With respect to he material to use, if I remember correctly he strongly recommended Lexan, and said not to use Acrylic.

Hope that helps somewhat - I haven't done mine yet so can't comment on the screws

Tony Cooke

tony cooke
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 10:09am
I did this a few months ago. Used Lexan per Bill Layton's recommendations. Take the old windows to a plastics shop. They should be able to machine new ones by using the old ones as templates. I think it cost me around 125 US to have them made.

The screws: I just used pan head screws going all the way trough the window. It doesn’t look that bad and requires significantly less work than the inserts that were originally supplied. Be sure to make the hole in the new window one size larger than the screw, otherwise thermal expansion will make cracks form around the screw holes.

Finally, Bill recommended a sealer but I couldn’t find it anywhere. So I just went to West Marine and read the labels of all the 3-M silicon sealer based products until I found one that was recommended for plastic. I did not use 5200. 5200 is an adhesive which is very hard to remove. If you have to re-seal the window later and you use 5200 you'll never get the windows off without breaking them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic