Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank
    Posted: 03 February 2018 at 2:01pm
Anyone know how big the fuel tank is ? I seem to remember 8 gallon , checked the brochures etc but nothing .  Just currious for calculating range. 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 9:16am
Pretty sure it's 10-gallons
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:12am
It's precisely 41 litres.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:42am
You asked about 'range'. My estimate would be about a half gallon (2 liters) per hour.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:56am
That depends upon a lot of elements. Sea and Wind conditions, salt water or fresh water, currents and tides, at 60% throttle with a relatively empty boat in fresh water I used to get 1 litre per hour.  It's really hard to attach a number to this as everyone is different.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 11:34am
Last summer I motored 95 miles in flat water with no wind or current.  Took about 16 hours.  About 2200-2300 rpm.  Boat pretty light as we were transiting to a race.  I seem to recall using about 1/3 of a tank which roughly correlates to Bill's 1 litre per hour estimate, under optimal conditions.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 11:35am
Yes, I agree that fuel usage varies. I was thinking in terms of an annual long distance regatta that we travel to. We have a crew of 4 with a loaded boat pushing at hull speed. We'd be the worse-case scenario for fuel efficiency. john
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 4:38pm
Always nice when you have a question a great group of people that step up right away - thanks all .  As for my consumption I was guessing about 1/3 gallon an hour and 8 gallons  . Never really an issue at all for what I do but still nice to know . 

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 7:18am
Anyone have any comments on how accurate the fuel guage is ? Never run mine down , but is a 1/4 tank really a 1/4 tank?  Just currious . 

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 8:24am
They are not the most accurate gauges. The rule of thumb we go by is not to let your tank go under a 1/4 on the gauge. This seems to prevent running out of fuel and having to do a low pressure and high pressure bleed. Some boats can go under a 1/4 and some are near empty at a 1/4. To check all you need to do is remove the 6 screws holding the gauge and look in the tank. Remember that due to waves and boat motion the fuel will move around and too low of fuel will allow air into the fuel pickup tube. Bleeding these engines can be a pain so it's best to never run out of fuel.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:17am
That is about what I figured . I never let her go below 1/2 but 1/4 is a good rule . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic