Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine shaft coupling removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine shaft coupling removal
    Posted: 14 January 2018 at 10:21am
anybody know how to remove the engine to sail-drive coupling off the engine's drive shaft? I got the nut off but I'm not sure how to remove the coupling. My gear puller won't fit between the bottom engine crankcase cover and the coupling.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 2:50pm
By memory I believe the coupling of the saildrive to the engine is a flanged tooth affair with a rubber fitting between to soften the action and reduce vibration. Is that correct? So the collar you refer to is the one attached to the bottom of the crankshaft that fits its matching part on the top of the shaft of the sail drive with the rubber fitting in between? Am I in the right place? If correct, I think this had a locking square section keyway between the collar and the shaft. I don't remember this being difficult to remove, but if the teeth of my puller did not fit into it, I would have ground down those teeth until they did. More challenging was getting the bottom crankcase plate off. I glued two pieces of 3/4 ply together and drilled holes in it to match the bolt holes that hold the sail drive onto the engine. Then I made some long threaded studs to hold that down from the top, then a double nutted affair through the middle allowing me to screw down against the center of the draft shaft which applied uplift to the plate. Something like that...can't quite remember, but I bet Bill can as he has done it dozens of times, where I only did it twice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic