Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boom end reef sheave

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boom end reef sheave
    Posted: 29 June 2017 at 10:56pm
Does anyone know the specs on the sheaves the reef line runs through aft end of boom?  I measured a broken one, but would like to confirm if anyone has the info.

Thanks,

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 10:02am
I don't have that info... but I would remove the other one and measure that. In the boom end casting there are 2 plastic sheeves for reefs and one aluminium sheeve for the outhaul. Both reef sheeves are the same dimensions
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 10:23am
I think below will work.  I'll confirm and advise when the new ones arrive.
I guess this another routine maintenance thread.....If you haven't looked at your boom sheaves in a while you might want to.  They are plastic and exposed to the sun. One of mine was gone, and the other deteriorating.  About 12 minutes after a race that we had the main reefed, the reef let go on the leach end of the sail.  The sheave was gone and the exposed bolt threads ate the reef line away in short order. Luckily, it was merely a short term inconvenience in my case. 

Bore 10mm
Sheave diameter 37mm
Sheave width 13mm
Max line size 10mm

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 11:55am
These seem to measure exactly the same as the ones for the bottom of the mast. I remember because I machined new ones from UHMWPE and pressed in a silicon-bronze bushing except for the spinnaker sheaved for which i used sealed stainless steel ball bearings. All your measurements ring a bell.
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 3:31pm
APS Item SC62031  Schaerfer 1 7/16 sheave - Fit just fine.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic