Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bukh DV-8 vs DV-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bukh DV-8 vs DV-10
    Posted: 23 March 2017 at 9:58am
Does anybody know the difference between the DV-8 and a DV-10?

I've purchased a DV-8 in the UK and I'm going to have it refurbished before shipping it to the US and installing it. It is replacing a DV-10.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 10:40am
I presume that the DV-10 is just a larger cylinder bore and piston. The DV-8 in my Laser had a head failure and I replaced it with a DV-10. Everything seems interchangeable.
The DV-10 seems to have a little more kick and is able to push the boat to speed at a slightly lower RPM... or I could be imagining things... or my DV-8 was just giving up the ghost and had to work harder.
John
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:54pm
It's the same engine exactly. The only difference is that there is an essentric fuel flow adjustment screw that controls the amount of fuel the fuel injection pump receives. All DV8's and DV10's installed in Laser 28's were adjusted to 10 HP at the BUKH factory in Denmark. The reason for this was, back in the day when this engine was designed europe had a rule that stated marine engines 8hp or less didn't have to pay a special tax. When that rule was rescinded they turned it up to 10hp and put on a prop with a little more pitch. 
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 1:24pm
Wow, that's interesting Bill.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 9:16am
Hi , Trying this post again. Anyone happen to have a fuel bolt for the injector end of the fuel feed line?
Thanks, John
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 9:26am
Thats a pretty rare part... either Keith Strutt or Bukh would have it. Or possibly a CAV shop who rebuilds injection pumps and injectors. It's a rather specialized part since it has a bleed screw on it as well.

Also this place as well may have it:
http://www.lsm-diesel.dk/

Edited by Bill Layton - 24 March 2017 at 9:29am
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 6:28pm
How did you loose that ?  

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 9:39pm
It all started when the head failed; and then ....
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:24am
The longer story is that my head failed and I took it to a local machine shop. After cleaning they found that the water jacket wall had thinned due to salt water corrosion and was compromised to leak into the exhaust port. Another local shop also told me that it could not be repaired.
Then I began my search for a salvage head or a salvage engine. Very hard to locate. Eventually I found an engine and swapped them out.
In the mean time, Kieth from Crinmar had me send him the failed head. Lo and behold, a shop in Canada was able to repair the head.
So as I put the repaired head back on the original engine, I find that some parts didn't survive all the change of hands.
This past weekend, the motor was used for a diesel motor class at a Women's Conference held by our sailing club.
I will order that banjo bolt though ($2.50 plus $40 shipping from Denmark). I would like to hear that repaired motor run again.
John
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 5:37pm
Glad to hear the old engine lives to fight another day . Never understood why Bukh or anyone  had a raw water cooled engine given most are  in salt water .  We are fresh water here lucky for us  . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:26pm
The engine was set up for raw water because its was designed for life-saving boats that launch from a ship in the case of having to abandon the ship. As such, they did not anticipate a lot of use for them. I have converted two of our Bukh's to cooling using a heat exchanger (avoiding sea water cooling) and that works just fine, despite that the workshop manual says it cannot be done. It can.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 1:43pm
Back to the original topic. I have the DV8 which is to replace my old DV10. Bill says above that the difference is just a fuel setting. Can I adjust that setting to make my engine a DV10? I have a DV8 workshop manual which provides instructions on how to do it "if the factory testing bench is not avilable". But the manual only provides settings for the DV8.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:05pm
The DV8 and the DV10 are the exact same engine. Basically we have a 10 hp engine, however back in the day there were different taxation points when importing engines into North America, so they renamed the engine a DV8 to avoid the problem.   Same engine, different numerical designation. A workshop manual with either name on it will look exactly the same and all parts are the same.

There are minor differences between engines made to drive a straight prop shaft and those that are attached to a sail drive because one is mounted horizontally and the other is mounted vertically for the sail drive. l Ours is more of a diesel outboard mounted inboard. To accommodate the different orientation the treatment of crankcase oil circulation, draining and filling of the oil is configured to suit.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:27pm
Hi, Bill stated in his March 22 post, "All DV8's and DV10's installed in Laser 28's were adjusted to 10 HP at the BUKH factory..."
I assume from your question that the DV8 in question was not from a Laser?
Just checking, john
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 3:00pm
That is correct. Not sure what it came out of.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:05pm
Get me the serial # and I may be able to tell you what it was adjusted for.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 6:32am
I will try to get the S/N, but the sticker was painted over.

A related question - I've heard of some people running acid through their cooling system to remove scale and corrosion. I've used muriatic acid to clean a heat exchanger of and old Perkins. Has anybody ever done this on thier Bukh?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:29am
Are you operating in salt water? If so I higher recommend installing a heat exchanger   I have heard of people flushing with diluted acid lr vinegar this may clean up the thermostat but I don't think it it will resolve rust. You could try it on some other rusty piece of dteel in a bucket OT glsss container.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:30am
Saltwater. I'm exploring the heat exchanger idea. You added this to your engine? What model / brand heat exchanger did you use? I'm looking into a double pocket pump to replace the Johnson raw water pump the engine came with. Johnson used to make one. Sherwood still makes double pocket pumps.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:55pm
I had the heat exchanger built by San Juan engineering in Bellingham, WA. I have done two conversions and the last one they charged me about US$380 for it. I kept the original Johnsen Pump to circulate the sea water and on the first project, Voila,I purchased an Oberdorfer centrifugal pump to circulate the anti-freee coolant. On the 2nd project for Warbird, I used a Johnsen impeller pump that had the same impeller as the original on the Buhk. These were both pedestal-type pumps mounted onto a bracket I cut from 3 x 3 x 3/16" aluminum angle bolted to the port side of the engine where one will conveniently find about 6 female bosses with 8mm threads that work perfect for mounting the bracket. The pump its bolted to the bracket by two 8mm bolts. The newly added pump is driven by a small belt from a pulley I attached to the top of the flywheel. Just remove the flywheel nut, stick the pulley on, and tighten the nut. I machined that myself so that the flywheel nut sat down inside the pulley hub with sufficient space to get a socket onto the flywheel nut. I then machined a standard pulley to fit onto the new pumps. On the first conversion I used an A section belt, but I found an L section for Warbird's conversion that is such smaller and runs much smoother. These pumps draw about 1/32hp, so one does not need much. I have been running mine since about 2010 with zero issues and I'm comfortable to know that my engine is not being slowly eaten away, particularly he cast iron head. BTW, both secondary pumps were found on Ebay,new for about $35.00, belt is about $5.00, so it is a cheap conversion. I think photos of it are still on the forum somewhere if you look back into the history.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic