Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear Shift Mechanism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear Shift Mechanism
    Posted: 12 June 2016 at 8:09pm
Greetings all,

In getting WarBird set up this year I noticed the gear shift lever in the cockpit unusually stiff going into reverse. On inspection below I noticed, apart from the obvious play in the outer housing at the bulkhead fitting, that the main housing for the shift mech. is very loose. I cannot see any way to get at this except to remove the entire mechanism from the bulkhead and investigate.

Anyone done this ??

thanks,
George

George S. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 8:13pm
Here is an image of the above post...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mcbbh280nl1mg2/Bukh%20GearShift.png?dl=0
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 8:42pm
In the cockpit part of the shifter pull out the red shift knob with it's short shaft. Then unscrew the round black button used to put the shifter in to neutral. The remaining chrome housing has an allen set screw on the bottom... turn the chrome housing so you have access to the set screw. Loosen it off and then pull off the chrome housing. Then you will see an aluminum collar that threads onto the main shifter housing that has become loose. Tighten that with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer and this fixes your problem. I've seen this on many boats. Re assemble and you are done. This fixes the loose or wobbly shifter body. 

Edited by Bill Layton - 12 June 2016 at 8:43pm
George S. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 8:49pm
Many thanks, Bill... will get it done :)

George
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic