Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder
    Posted: 26 March 2016 at 7:27am
Spring is almost here and as I began cleaning the bottom I noticed the rudder seemed to have "slipped", there was maybe 1/8" of shiny metal showing where I had never seen shiny before and I could push the rudder up so I am guessing a gasket or something has decided to not sail another season. Suggestions on repair?   Thanks, - bill 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2016 at 8:10am
Have a look here Bill

http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9&title=l28-rudder-solutions

It looks like some of your plastic washers on top may have worn out or broken off. 
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2016 at 4:58pm
Thanks Bill, as always generous with the info.  I tried to follow the link but it gave me an error.  The UHMW bushings, where can I obtain them?  Let me know and thanks again!  - bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2016 at 5:34pm
Try the link again because it works. Perhaps you didn't copy it all before you tried it?
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 3:32pm
Yup, must copy entire link if you want it to work.....  operator error!  So this isn't stiff and it has dropped down so I am guessing the bushing(s) have worn out and/or cracked.  I plan to take it apart in the next week or so so if i need to replace the bushing(s) any idea on where I can get them?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 10:34am
So it was the bushing and the article did help.  I wasn't sure what to get so I have a thin, a medium and a thick bushing "in stock" should anyone be in need - let me know!  - bll 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic