Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glue for Sail-drive "skin Fitting"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glue for Sail-drive "skin Fitting"
    Posted: 02 March 2016 at 4:13pm
Crinmar no longer sells the glue for hull fairing seal for the sail drive leg , they tell me it was Bostik A3 . This glue is still available in Europe but not in North America. Apparently you can not air ship it - not safe . 

So I did some leg work and contacted Bostik for a north american alternative and they were helpful suggesting a product called 1685MC. It is a product used to glue those foam mops to the handle , works for rubber , leather ect. They sent me the Technical Data Sheet and it looks like it will do the trick. 

Available at Krayden in the US, I will try this summer and report if it works as they indicate . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 4:27pm
That rubber gasket does take a beating. Whatever glue I use, I supplement it with 8 little stainless screws near the edge, grind the heads flat and fair over.
Fletch replaced his rubber gasket with a 2 piece fiberglass cover. I might try this after my current one fails. js
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 5:19pm
LSM is still selling the glue in Denmark. Their prices are cheaper than Crinan.

http://www.lsm-diesel.dk/

Enter the part number
523A0000

if your keeping your boat perhaps buy a spare head gasket and fuel filter and impellor. The glue is a water proof contact cement. I've tried a few without success.
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 5:32pm
"Fletch replaced his rubber gasket with a 2 piece fiberglass cover."

I like that idea.Thumbs Up
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 7:45pm
This is the glue Bostik suggests to replace their own  Contact A3 that used to come with the factory seal . 
Still no guarantee it will work but given you can't air ship the original glue from Europe anymore I guess we will have to give it a try.  

To be clear you can buy it in Europe , you just can't legally put it on a plane to get it here anymore I am told . 

Edited by John Mills - 02 March 2016 at 7:52pm
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 7:49pm
I like the screw idea but I am hesitant to put a screw hole in the  cored hull below the water line - it is cored , right ?  Or is it solid there?  As for the fiberglass alternative , it does not meet class and the drive does move around.  
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 8:12pm
The description is "Bostik adhesive 1685M is a Neoprene Rubber-Solvent based adhesive that shows excellent bonding characteristics when bonding polyurethane foam and abrasive grit, rubber to metal, wood to itself, leather and many other materials. It has been used to bond cellulose sponge to metal in the manufacturing of mops. It provides excellent adhesions of cured and uncured Neoprene and butyl membranes to concrete, wood and metal."  

They did state it would work with fiberglass and also states in is properties "General: Flexible film with good resistance to hot or cold water detergents. Weathering: Excellent Chemical Resistance: Excellent to cold and boiling water, detergents and aliphatic oils."

All I guess I can do is give it a try . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic