Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corrosion on Prop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vance Newell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corrosion on Prop
    Posted: 14 February 2016 at 1:43am
My boat has been in the water for about 8 months now and my diver is telling me that he is starting to see some corrosion on my prop.  According to Gori, the prop is not designed to have a zinc, but I am thinking that it might help.  Is anyone using a zinc to protect the prop?  

Thanks!
Vance
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2016 at 8:16am
Every prop gets some corrosion near the geared part of the blades, even in fresh water. So this is common. It's not bad enough to cause a problem and many boats are still running their original prop without issue. Is this what you have? 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 2:47pm
Are you in seawater or fresh. In any case, the zinc is more to protect your saildrive leg than the prop. Do not remove it nor let it corrode to nothing or you will have a much bigger problem. I agree with Bill that a surface deterioration to some point on your bronze propeller is not going to become an issue.
Vance Newell View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vance Newell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 12:21am
I am in seawater.  I have been told that our harbor is pretty active as far as corrosion.  I will check with the diver to get more details and maybe have him take some pictures next time he is down there.  There is no corrosion on the saildrive and the saildrive zinc is there.  I also have an external "fish" zinc that is wired to the saildrive dipstick.  Thank you for the advice!!

Vance
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 9:28am
For living in sea water you are looking great. Just fix that leak.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic