Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prop problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop problem
    Posted: 14 September 2015 at 7:36pm
I had to pull my Laser today because I have no propulsion.  At a regatta this weekend, a crew member was distracted while cleaning up the spin sheets.  He dropped the spin sheet on the deck (before finishing coiling it) to do something else and the sheet found its way over board and to the prop.  Killed the motor, which was running slightly harder than idle in forward.  Wrapped the prop, and stopped the motor.  We put her in reverse (motor off) and pulled the sheet free with very little effort.  The sheet was fine....not a nick on it.  But then we could not go more than 1.5 knots in forward and no reverse at all.
It appears to me from reading some old forum post that we have killed some kind of sacrificial rubber something inside the hub that prevents further damage to the motor when you screw up in this manner.  I have the prop off.  I can rotate the inner portion of the hub, which I don't think should happen.  So I think we killed off the 30 year old sacrificial piece in the hub.  Everything else with the sail drive seems to be fine.
Questions I have...do my conclusions sound correct concerning the hub rubber thingy?    If so, I need a new prop, correct?  Best source for new prop? Shaft size?  Which Gori prop (model #) do I need? I'm in the US.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by Ron Waterson - 14 September 2015 at 7:38pm
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 7:59pm
Yes you killed your prop. Gori won't rebuild those anymore. The original prop that came with all L28's is the 8" pitch and later on we moved to the 9.5" pitch. This is the best place to order from. Note the pic does not show the correct prop. But those part numbers are correct.

Here is the 11.5 x 8" pitch
http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+gor2BFSD11580

Here is the 11.5 x  9.5" pitch
http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+gor2BFSD11595 
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 8:04pm
Bill,

Thanks.  Just to clarify, are saying we can use either one, or did you mean that boats built later used the 9.5.  If the later, how do determine which one I need?  Hull 147.  I have the Bukh DV8.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 8:09pm
Ahhh...I see the difference now at website.  Got it.  I need the 8" pitch for the DV8.

Thanks
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic