Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

waterproof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: waterproof
    Posted: 25 May 2004 at 4:32pm

I've recently bought a laser and found that it leaked like a sieve along the hull deck joint.  Two gallons of water in the boat during a rainstorm!  This is a pretty poor design in my opinion,  only caulk and ss staples hold the two together.  Water runs off the deck and pools along the top of the rubrail with nowhere to go but into the boat.  I used a polyurethane caulk on the inside - great adhesion plus flexibility but impossible to remove.  I then fibreglassed the hull and deck together, which is probably the best and most permanent solution.  I had the galley out of the boat for a refit so could also do the fibreglass work here.

I had pulled the rub rail off the boat in sections and caulked it back on, but was not happy with the result - the caulk didn't seem to grip the rubrail well enough.

It seems to me that the worst area is at the widest part of the beam, and I surmise that if the boat ever hits the dock or is otherwise pranged at midships the hull deck joint flexes then springs open a bit and you've got a problem.

tony cooke
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2004 at 4:04pm

Similar drips on my boat but only a cup or two after a big rain.

Any other suggestions for stopping these leaks? I think mine is at the beamiest area as well. Will try caulking the interior seam first.

Doug

tonycooke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2004 at 2:28am
Be sure to use a caulk with high adhesion, flexibility and strength - I used a polyurethene caulk after receiving advice from Bill Layton. and found this to do an excellent job.  Don't use a silicone product whatever you do.
tony cooke
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic