Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polars
    Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:54pm
Anyone use the polar diagrams for the L28 these days?  I found an old text copy at http://www.cvrm.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Performance_Prediction.pdf but am really not sure if they are still valid in this day and age of genoa use etc with up these boats?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:27am
Hey Chris,

I've worked with the performance prediction tables you mention.  First a little background to put this in perspective....last year was my first season with the boat and I have a mostly beginner group of sailors aboard while racing.  I found that other than a couple of basic, committed to memory numbers, we were not nearly skilled or focused enough to use the polars while flying spin in a race.  Pretty much just learning how to get it flying.  My guys did learn well, and I'm looking forward to actually being able to helm this year without focusing on keeping people from hurting themselves or the boat. 
SOOOOO....I took the numbers from the PDF and extrapolated to an app called IPolar.  That puts them in a useful format for IPad.  Then I moved the polars into IRegatta, which is a racing app if you are not familiar.  This season may allow me to actually use the info.  We'll see.  So far, I'm not one to focus on technology while racing, nor am I a super techy guy in general, but I do find some info in IRegatta useful, and I think when the crew work smooths out, the polar info may be helpful as well.  Once we are somewhat proficient and I have raced a few races using IRegatta, the app will compare the numbers I input vs. actual.  

This will take time....Sadly, we are not even in the water yet as repairs and maintenance continue for another week or so.  She should be beautiful soon!

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic