Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine pull start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine pull start
    Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:18pm
This may be one of those questions with a ridiculously simple answer but my search of old forum posts turned up nothing.

Is there a specific procedure for pull starting the engine?

Note that my engine has had an external alternator installed by the previous owner.  See:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/dad1h0kbl7ztlpe/DSC02800.JPG?dl=0

Not sure if the v-belt from the alternator on the top of the flywheel is normally where you wrap the rope for the pull start?

I've tried wrapping around the large flywheel but the rope just seems to slip off.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:48pm
Chris,

There is a notch on the rope groove of the flywheel to support a pull rope start, much like on an old lawn mower. It just requires a figure 8 knot in the end of about a 1/4" line that you wrap around inside the groove the the flywheel.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:34am
The method to use is to wrap the flywheel with a pull cord that has a handle. Then rotate the flywheel backwards until you have compression and stop. Now you can pull to start it. This allows you to get a full crank rotation before compression kicks in. If you don't do this, it feels like your ripping your fingers off and the engine won't start. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:42am
I was wondering about that. Thanks for that guideline Bill, though I hope I never have to use it.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:19pm
One of my favorite things about the bukh is you can pull start it. In fact, I've completely ran the engine out of fuel, then left the battery on for a week to die, and was able to prime the engine and start it all with a few yanks of pull cord.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic