Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

your favorite sheets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: your favorite sheets?
    Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:47am
Looking to replace my "stale" sheets for the headsail, and I was wondering what is everybody's favorite choice, in terms of material, size and brand?

Edited by Seawolf - 26 April 2015 at 10:48am
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 6:23pm
7/16" double braid polyester with fuzzy cover work great on the Maxwell, Lewmar and harken winches.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 9:12pm
I use 1/2" which is probably a bit overkill but I find it grabs better in the self-tailer on the Maxwell winch.  7/16" would be fine but I wouldn't use 3/8" as they won't stay in the self-tailer.

Last year I purchased Bridgeline Yacht Braid, double braid polyester from http://www.thechandleryonline.com/ (located in Ottawa) for my headsail and I must admit I'm not thrilled with it because it's very slippery.  Maybe it'll roughen up a bit after a season of use. Having said that, they haven't been a problem and the price was good ($0.64 per foot).

Edited by Winner - 26 April 2015 at 9:28pm
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 7:57pm
I have salsa braid on Sparkplug. I am very happy with them. They do not seem to get twisted or kink and are easy on the hands. The colour makes them easy to pick out of e pile. 
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:05pm
Just a followup on my old post: On the Maxwell winches, 1/2" is a touch too big to hold in the self-tailer.  I switched back to 7/16".  It looks like others use smaller lines down to 5/16" but my winches won't hold that; maybe if I did the walnut shell trick Frank suggested, but I find 7/16" holds just fine.

Edited by Winner - 24 May 2016 at 12:38pm
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 4:16pm
Voila used 5/16 with our Maxwells without a problem, however..........several years ago I took the self tailers off and put a light coating of epoxy and chipped walnut shell on the grips. One more light coat of epoxy on top of that so not to wear the ropes and we have been good with this set-up since 2009.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic