Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

forestay replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forestay replacement
    Posted: 06 December 2014 at 11:09am
Hi, I noticed my forestay is coming apart. I see a lot of posts about pin-to-pin length but I'm not quite sure what to specify for a replacement. Is it a part number or do I ask for a 5/32 SS standing rigging with pin on one end and turnbuckle on the other.
Thanks in advance, john
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 11:23am
It's 3/16" wire with a 3/8" turnbuckle with a 3/8" toggle at the top. Measured original length is 32'- 5-1/4" inches pin to pin with the turnbuckle fully closed (laying on the bench)
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 11:53am
Hi, I called apsltd.com and they asked me to review their rigging measurement guide at the bottom of their homepage. They are taking their length measurements from the load bearing surface of the pin hole.
So when you say pin-to-pin, they would be measuring from far edges of the pin holes.... sound good? thx, john
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 7:30pm
Pin to pin is really measured the same way. (not the bearing surfaces) To simplify this just think of it as measuring from centre of pin to centre of pin or top of pin to top of pin and so on. The L28 original forestay length is 32ft-5.25" with turnbuckle fully closed. The turnbuckle is 3/8" dia and the wire is 3/16" 
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2015 at 9:42pm
Also re-rigging my headstay to fit a Harken Furler, does anyone know the clevis pin size. Thanks. 
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2015 at 10:31pm
Original forestay pin is 3/8" diameter. Not sure what furler you have.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2015 at 3:32am
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a Harken MKIV Unit 0 Jib Reefing and Furling.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 9:29pm
My boat was retrofitted with a MKIV Unit 0 prior to me purchasing it.  What info are you looking for?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2016 at 11:00am

winner,

Just needed the pin size, which I got now. thanks!
Geoff Coke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 12:31am
Winner and Seawolf,

How does the Harken MKIV Unit 0 perform.

Looking at a furler and was wondering if the Unit 0 was sufficient or if a Unit 1 would be better.

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:23am
I never changed to a furler, that task is on my someday list. So I am using the harken carbon fiber foil for now. When that goes , than maybe I will change out.

Seawolf
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 1:01pm
I removed my Harken MkIV Unit 0 two years ago because I race the boat primarily.  In my relatively limited use of the furler, I wold say it was perfectly adequate and no need to go bigger.

The furler is still in my garage.  I'd consider selling it if we could figure out a way to transport it.  I'm pretty sure all the pieces are threadlocked together...
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:53pm
I've been racing Wednesday night beer cans with the MKIV unit 0 furler with no issues other than it is time consuming to change sails on the water because the lapper requires vertical battens as you hoist...or removing as you douse.  Furler works great.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 9:36am
winner-

Do you still want to sell your Roller furler? Let me know, going to add a furler this winter and looking at all options. 
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 4:49pm
Seawolf,

Thread hijack...are you on Flathead Lake?  I own 147.  Trying to verify that she was on Flathead Lake before I owned her?  Any knowledge?

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 8:53pm
Sewolf is on Flathead lake. Hull 194. History is mostly on Lake Dillon in Colorado, with a short trip to the bahamas and then back to lake Dillon. We are the 3rd only, the original ower was named Wolfgang, hence Seawolf.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 2:06pm
I was inquiring as to whether you had seen another Laser 28 on Flathead Lake?  Sail #33594 circa 2011 or so.  

...and let's not forget you are looking for a roller furler.  I don't want to totally derail your inquiry.

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 7:33pm
There was another Laser 28 on Flathead Lake. But it was sold and shipped off to the west coast sometime around 2011. Can't remember any details on the hull #.

Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2021 at 11:51pm
Seawolf I haven't logged in for ages and just saw your post.  I sent you a PM.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic