Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 28 Parting out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 28 Parting out
    Posted: 05 November 2014 at 9:37am
Mike Mashyna from Erie Pa. recently demasted his Laser 28 "Outlaw".  Ins Co totaled the boat and he is selling it off in pieces.

He can be reached at 814-881-8203 or mmashyna@roadrunner.com

Inventory includes: Hull, Keel, Trailer, Engine & saildrive, Gori folding prop, Fuel tank, Boom, Iso vang, Harken, windward sheeting traveler, Spreaders & casting, Harken winches, Spinlock XTS double clutches, Head, Bow hatch, Companion way boards & hatch slide, Bow & Stern rail, stanchions, deck hardware,  Interior, interior cushions & soft lockers, Floor boards & aluminum bow grid and many used sails.

Dick
Dick #122
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 10:05am
Scrapping the boat because he lost his mast? I see an ad online from mike asking where to get a mast at the end of september? EBSpars.com  was the original mast supplier and still is as as far as I know. 

Edited by Bill Layton - 05 November 2014 at 10:06am
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 10:16am
The boat also has a loose keel.  Repair costs were going out of site.
Dick #122
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 10:24am
Do you mean a damaged fiberglass keel structure? That's too bad. What number is the boat.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 3:26pm
i would like to hear the back story on this unfortunate incident. perhaps there is a lesson here that might benefit myself or others.
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 4:44pm
The story I got from Mike is they were 7 miles off shore on Lake Erie trying to get to Port Dover, Canada.  They were in 35 knot winds, seas 6 to 8 feet doing some heavy pounding.  When they crashed off of one wave the rig went over the side.  He said the chain plate was ripped out of the boat.  6 to 8 foot waves are pretty steep in Lake Erie.  7 miles out from Port Dover is not very deep water (30-40')  Not positive but I believe the boat had keel problems prior to the dismasting.  

Bill, Will get the hull # but it may be a litte bit.
Dick #122
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 7:24pm
Where is the boat now?  
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 9:20pm
Home port is the Erie YC.  I'm assuming it's there.
Dick #122
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2014 at 5:59am
Does anyone know the price of a replacement mast?  
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2014 at 8:32am
You would have to contact www.ebspars.com for that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic