FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 9:27am
Hi Bill, Would you suggest I send the head to Crinmar for evaluation/service? I guess the other option would be to just have it planed and re-install with a new head gasket... I don't have the tools to check the valve guides and seat myself... thanks, John
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 12:52am
Milky oil means a blown headgasket and or a warped cylinder head. Don't run the engine with milky oil as you will cause further damage if it runs for too long. This certainly causes your other problems. If your engine has plenty of cranking power then not sure what would be wrong with the ignition switch. Time to get that head off and in for service.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 10:08pm

The kill switch position of the ignition stopped working reliably. Since it was intermittent, I replaced the ignition swith. It still only works occasionally. The solenoid is on the top rear of the engine right? The metal tab on top is loose so I was going to try to solder it. In the mean time, we shut down the engine with the lever behind the air cleaner.

The engine has not been starting as of late although we have plenty of cranking power. It takes a shot of diesel starting fluid to get her going after sitting, even if she's warm. And it has also stalled once or twice after the fluid burns off. I'm thinking there is a leak in the fuel line letting air up to the injector. I'm planning to change the fuel filter and then loosen/tighten all the fittings from the pump to the injector.

Today when I checked my oil, it was milky. Could the starting fluid be generating too much pressure in the cylinder and causing a temporary gasket fail? Once started , the engine has been running fine. I'm going to change the oil for starters.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this baby? thx, js   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic