FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plexiglass window restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 9:23am
All windows are indeed identical. Except they differ from port to starboard because of the radius on the outside edge. They were originally Plexiglass 1/4" thick. Do not use acrylite it's not the same quality acrylic. I used to use a company in Ottawa called Canus Plastics. 1-800-267-9699 and dealt with Don Pineau. They used to have templates for the L28 but it's been years since I spoke with them. Also plexiglass can be sanded and polished like gelcoat. So any deficiencies can be dealt with in that manner.

Edited by Bill Layton - 22 June 2014 at 9:24am
George S. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2014 at 10:54pm
hi Chris,

Frank/Voila is the guy who will know the compatibilities of the different materials you are dealing with.

I am probably going to replace the windows in WarBird this summer. Not because they are leaking (so one wonders.... why replace them)........... well, rather than use tinted plexi, someone just left the mylar (?) tint on the inside of the windows which now looks ugly. Frank has replaced Voila's and we have a plastics fabricator in our yacht club that has the template for this.......... so if you want a new set let me know and maybe I can get a discount for 2 sets. Bill might chime in here if the L28 window openings are not exactly the same, but I think they were..... Bill ?

It was great meeting you when you were in town, and it wasn't a great surprise that you guys beat us in that wednesday night race, with three L28 owners on board Voila, you would have had a lot of explaining to do if you hadn't .......... :-)

cheers,
George
WarBird
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2014 at 4:08pm
Hi all,

The previous owner of my boat epoxied the top deck but in the process there are now several "runs" of epoxy where it dripped down the sides and he didn't notice before it dried.  One of these areas is the plexiglass cabin windows which now have white epoxy drips on them.

I'm wondering how to remove these and/or restore the windows in some way?  I'm assuming the epoxy would have essentially bonded itself to the plexiglass and simply scraping or sanding it off won't do a sufficient job.

So my question is whether anyone has any suggestions for removing the epoxy or replacing the windows altogether in which case suggestions on where to source this materials would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic