Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Laser connection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Laser connection
    Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:33am
One of the folks in the local sailing group has expressed an interest in the Laser and even looked online so in my (selfish) interest to help him land a boat to bring to Louisville, KY let me help make a connection if you know of a boat looking for a new home! :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:55am
There was one or two boats in Florida as I recall.

http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=611
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2014 at 6:57pm
what is his price range? I continue to "shop" for Lasers and see a range of 18,000 up to 27,000. Of course condition and equipment varies.
George S. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2014 at 10:08pm
With all due respects to L28 owners, the L28 is a 20k boat at most now. And that is only because she was a niche boat with a good pedigree. Most 28's are 10-15k boats. Depends on how far you are willing to go and return with the boat. COMET in NY looks good, with trailer. I think you just have to Google "Laser28' every week. If you want a boat this year you will most likely have to travel unless your lucky star is shining and one turns up in your back yard. These boats are well dispersed throughout North America after 30 years.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2014 at 1:42pm
I would challenge the "20k at most" comment; I think it has a lot to do with boat condition and how it's rigged.  You can get quite a range from 15k up to 26k and while 26k is definitely a lot, if it's a freshwater boat with updated sails that has been well maintained, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.  Also consider whether the boat comes with a good quality trailer.

Due to my isolated location, I paid more for my boat than what it was probably worth if it was for sale in Montreal, but it saved me from transporting a boat back from somewhere distant which has a dollar value attached to it as well.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
George S. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2014 at 2:14pm
Sorry… I meant average condition, boat only. Not including travel or trailer.

Obviously boats like ANDANZAS, CONVICTUS, etc. will command much higher prices, as they are prized possessions of knowledgeable owners. But in my 35 yrs of owning 9 boats these boats are far and few between. The L28, being a niche boat, known by a few who 'get it' will always be a cut above the norm

The old sailboat market has completely imploded.. and there are some sad examples of L28's brought up from humid climates where there have been closed up with wet sails and their wood interiors completely decayed. A few photos of critical areas where the wood meets the hull are in order before ANY prospective buyer gets in the truck and tows it across the country.

When I got WarBird (my 2nd L28), last summer in Milwaukee, she was the best of the 4 on the market at the time and reasonably priced under 20k. She was also the most original, i.e…. not owner tinkered with. All the L28's where priced near or below 20k except one in Montreal who was just fishing.

I would have paid much more to get a boat like ANDANZAS and saved the trouble of my repairs perhaps, but those boats are usually sold though the grapevine and never hit the open market.

Once again to the original poster…. Google, Google and Google… weekly at least. And let the community know you are a buyer.

cheers all,
George
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2014 at 2:36pm
If someone want to buy Voila, they will have the simple decision whether to buy "my" laser, or say a 1D-35. Short of that it may have to be auctioned off after the funeral.   
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2014 at 2:54pm
What would the list be without you FrFletch?! Just keep your ears open folks, my friend here in Louisville is watching the list and Googling too - I am (selfishly) hoping for another L28 to gang up on those darn S2's that keep sliding by me!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2014 at 4:52pm
frfletch - tried to reply but "frfletch has exceeded the maximum number of Private Messages they are allowed to receive."
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2014 at 5:42pm
yes the inbox only allows you to keep 5 messages before you get that message.... however the outbox can go on forever. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2014 at 6:34pm
Ok. My inbox has been cleared.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2014 at 1:45am
When I brought Viola back to Vancouver, BC from Portland, Oregon, she was the only Laser 28 here. She made a definite mark on the local seen and now there are 5 and one more on the way from San Diego. I can see a case for prices firming.
Hoodoo View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2014 at 5:10pm
In Québec:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/ville-de-quebec/voilier-laser-28-turbulence/558528450?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

No affiliation.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2014 at 7:02pm
Thanks for sharing, need help in reading the site for boat specs please! Will gladly translate Kentucky if anyone ever travels here! :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Hoodoo View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2014 at 8:59pm
They mention the boat was painted with Awlgrip and VC17 bottom. Other than that, they only wrote the general specs of the L28. Boat is located in Charlevoix, an hour from Quebec city. Never saw it.

Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 10:02am
Here's the whole add if that helps;

All sailing enthusiasts will agree that the Laser 28 is an exceptional boat . Designed by Bruce Far, it is very fast for its class ( cruiser / racer ) , it provides thrills while providing good stability. The comfort of its interior is surprising for a 28 feet . Turbulence was built in 1987. It was repainted with an All Grip and received a VC17 antifouling every year . Description: 3950 lbs displacement , fractional rig , 10hp diesel engine , sleeps 4 people, overall length of 28.4 ft , 9.5 ft width , draft 5 ' bar - free . Amenities : 1 Mainsail 2 reefs , 1 Mainsail 3 reefs , 1 genoa, 2 jibs , GPS Garmin 521 new, gauge and indicator recent ST40 speed , compass , VHF Standard Horizon DSC nine , VHF antenna, sail covers nine cushions redone , cradle on wheels , folding propeller Gory , outdoor table , recent BBQ, manual bilge pump , Origo stove , toilet, fixed and portable coolers , fenders, buoy, anchor chain and rode , 2 batteries , ect ...

Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 2:46pm
Clean looking boat. Does the price translate into 19,900 USD?
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2014 at 10:40pm
saw this laser on Yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Laser-28-2565608/West-Haverstraw/NY/United-States
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:30am
An update and welcome to Bill Waterson who has brought #147 from FL to sail the mighty Ohio River with me here in Louisville, KY!

Let's all take some new folks out for a sail this season!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 3:35pm
Welcome Bill, glad to see 147 has found a new home!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic