Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andanzas restoration pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andanzas restoration pics
    Posted: 24 December 2013 at 2:21pm
A few pics of the refit we did to Andanzas this month. New non-skid, two part polyurethane with griptex. Re sprayed red waterline. Bottom sprayed with 6 coats of interprotect 2000, new VC-17 the american stuff w/biolux. Misc gelcoat repairs. Installed new main hatch slides machined out of aluminum and anodized black. New pulpit with additional lower rung. This makes it much stiffer. Keep clicking on the pic until you get full screen sized pics.

Happy Holidays!

Edited by Bill Layton - 24 December 2013 at 2:22pm
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 8:43pm
looks great!
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2014 at 10:40pm
Bill
Nice job on the boat.  Did you use the fine or coarse Griptex
Dick #122
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2014 at 11:41pm
Thanks, that is interlux intergrip which is a nicely sized medium grit, compared to awlgrip  griptex which is either fine or course size. Same sort of poly-spheric plastic though.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 3:56pm
Hi Bill - I need a new bow pulpit as well - where can I order one just like yours, and roughly how much was it?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 6:27pm
I ordered one from stainless outfitters but it wasn't even close..... so the next door business is good at welding stainless and they made one to fit the boat. However they do not do this regularly and do not have templates. More of a favor. I don't know anywhere that you can order one from and expect it to fit..... no one wants to re-drill new holes in the deck! Usually an onsite tradesman gets it done right as he has to fit it at the end and has someone close by he works with. 
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 9:43pm
So what would it take to make it worth his while?   If 5 boats committed a purchase? Would he considerate then?   Just curious myself....   
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 9:12am
They only did this as a favour. They don't do this type of work as regular business. You need to find someone local. This is the key. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2014 at 2:49am
What is the nature of the damage. We have brought 3 of these back from the dead.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 2:46pm
I would be interested to, mine is serviceable but sometime in its life it was "tweeked" so that when the boat is flat you think you have 5 degrees of heel. Not an end gamer but sure is annoying.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2014 at 1:29pm
Looks great Bill!  I wish I had that kind of facility to store my boat during the winter!  It's so cold here I wouldn't even dare try and board my boat for fear of something snapping due to being so cold and brittle.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2014 at 2:02pm
It's not stored there. It's outside and covered now. That is Ian Bruce's shop, Montreal Classic Boatworks. Ian now builds a 22 foot  electric runabout. Link below. Ian ran Laser International and we built the Laser 28 together.
http://www.mtlcb.ca/
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2014 at 4:07pm
I have been watching various single/double-handed racing footage and something caught my eye. One boat was flying a reaching asymmetrical spinnaker off their bow pulpit.
Now if I was to redo our pulpit on seawolf (which I don’t need to, yet…..) I would want to build a pulpit that could handle the load of asymmetrical, perhaps complete with a SS wire running down from the pulpit to the eye bolt (which some boats have for winching their boats onto trailers), maybe a built in bracket to connect the kite to. Also I would design it with mast storage in mind, perhaps a little taller with a cradle.
Like I said, I don’t need one yet, but I would want to do some home work before re designing it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic