Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warbird gets new heat exchanger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warbird gets new heat exchanger
    Posted: 09 September 2013 at 9:30pm

Warbird, recently acquired by George Streadwick, ex-owner of Voila (1998-2003) gets fitted with the 2nd heat exchanger ever done for the Bukh DV 10. Warbird's engine had never seen salt water, and George was keen that it never would. As one would expect, the 2nd installation of this innovation was better than the first. Biggest improvement was mounting the Heat Exchanger to the two vertical 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" tubular aluminum columns each side of the steps at the front of the engine. Voila had mounted her's on the engine angle steel mounting unit where it experienced substantial vibration and made it difficult to prevent the wearing of the cushioning between the HE and the mounting brackets. Warbird's installation was so nice, that Voila followed with the modification to the same. Warbird's install turned out really sweet. San Juan Engineering custom built the Heat Exchanger for $289, and a new Johnson pedestal mounted impeller pump was found on Ebay for $180. I machined the two pulleys and made up the mounting brackets using 3/16" x 3" x 3" angle aluminum. Again we relied on the engine's own female threaded bosses on the port side of the engine, though one of the bosses used is not tapped at the factory (but is there) and we had to tap that to 8mm to take up the mounting.

GFRP mounting cradle

Flexible applied 2-part Poluyurethane cushion to Heat Exchanger

1/4" all-thread bent into U-clamp with clear PVC tubing to protect H.E.

ditto

ditto

Pulley for mounting to flywheel

ditto

Pulley for coolant pump

both pulleys

Mounting H.E. to vertical posts

Ditto

Threaded bosses on engine to receive pump mounting bracket

Coolant pump mounted via threaded bosses on engine

Ditto

Ditto

Plumbing arrangement

Edited by frfletch - 10 September 2013 at 4:05pm
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 10:48pm
Nice work Frank! You can add your comments between the pics. Just click on Post Options, then edit.

Edited by Bill Layton - 09 September 2013 at 10:49pm
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 10:19pm
Sweat installation. Is the boat again "WarBird"?

Got a post about reregistering on the forum. Bills e-mail adress came up as a link to some third party. I enjoy the forum and offering what I can in tips or advice (mostly bad) and hope to stay a member.

Wicked (fka WarBird)
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:05pm
Warbird remains Warbird. I haven't heard George mention anything about a name change.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:14pm
You are registered member Warbird or else you wouldn't be able to post. That message was only for non members who haven't registered (they can still read the board but cannot post messages). Current membership doesn't change.

Originally posted by WarBird WarBird wrote:

Got a post about reregistering on the forum. Bills e-mail adress came up as a link to some third party. I enjoy the forum and offering what I can in tips or advice (mostly bad) and hope to stay a member.

Edited by Bill Layton - 10 September 2013 at 11:16pm
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:22pm
Do you use a 50/50 mix of prestone or just fresh water?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 12:00am
We have been using antifreeze that does not specify dilution. I suspect similar as to what goes in most cars or other diesel engines. I'm not sure of the name. I think my HE has been installed for 3 or 4 years and I've only done a complete flush once, and that was when I just took it off to convert the mounting to be similar to Warbird's. Last weekend I had to motor both two and from a regatta that was 3 hrs 15 minutes each way, and now there is no vibration on the HE. Before, when mounted on the engine, the vibration kept wearing down the padding between the HE and its mounting cradle, no matter what kind of padding I used it tried to ware through it. That is why I went to the mouldable polyurethane this time, but I'm finding that it is probably overkill, since there is no such vibration in the new position.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 9:05am
Frank you should consider selling these as kits for people to retrofit to their boats.  Very useful for the salties.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Winner Winner wrote:

Frank you should consider selling these as kits for people to retrofit to their boats.  Very useful for the salties.

I have thought of making these into kits, and if a sufficient number of owners show interest, I could prepare a number of these.   Indeed it is a useful conversion for the "salties" and will go a long way to extending the life of our little Bukhs. As with most things that apply to our little boats, if we applied marine-yard labor rates to the various projects we do to keep our boats "up-to-scratch", we would all have $100,000 Lasers! On the other hand, I enjoy such projects at least as much as sailing and am happy to assist anyone who want to convert their boats. I could easily prepare shop drawings and specifications for the conversion. The brackets can be made with a hacksaw, file, drill, and a bench vice. The pulleys need the use of a lathe, but are simple to machine and any little shop could make them. The two conversions I have done I did as one-offs and much time was spent in thinking and experimenting. However, now refined, templates could be made of the brackets and this would speed their making.

Thanks for your suggestion and compliments to the project.
George S. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 10:12pm
She will be WarBird again when Frank & I have finished the fun stuff !! :-) I have a template I've made from an old photo that will use the same typeface. Graphics is my biz so that was the easy part.

Harder part was grinding out all the old bonding 'filler/epoxy' (?) under the floor grid that was not bonded anymore after the grounding. No surprises here, I knew all this before I purchased and went through it with Voila too. But this time I am re-glassing all the hull grid sections with 3 layers of overlapping Knytex cloth and epoxy. The the entire area between the box sections is filled and the tabs covered completely, so the bond is as if the box sections are integral with the hull, not epoxied to them by only the width of the tabs that sit on the hull. Might be a tad heavier, but it's under the waterline... and she will be strong !!

It is always interesting when two owners like Frank & I have as much fun fixing boats as sailing them. I am sure people in our club think Frank owns both boats as he is often on WarBird, not just fixing something... but making it better. Having both boats next to each other on their trailers in the dry sail area makes it easier.

cheers, George

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic