Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reaching spinnakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2014 at 4:28pm
I would use the pole by placing it thru the pulpit by lowering it against the forestay. The mast end would be lowered to the bottom of the mast and attached. In short there is 2 tie down points.... one from tack shackle and around the pole to limit the height. The other one will tie the pole to the forestay tightly. You can do this with velcro or dyneema line. No need to gybe the pole with it setup this way. It won't be touching the pulpit at all. You could consider gluing a piece of rubber around the pole diameter where it'll contact the forestay.

I was thinking about a bracket that fits under the mast base nuts at the front. Obviously with a ring on it like the one that came on the mast but you could have it made so that it's offset to one side...this effectively would be positioned so that it centre's the front of the pole on the centreline of the boat, compensating for being on one side of the forestay. You'd have to sight this on land and put someone on the deck to move it around so you could position it correctly.

The pole would be used upside down... meaning the piston triggers are down and the aluminum part of the jaw is up. On the outboard end you could whip an  aluminum eye in place for the tack line or just tie on a block. Then just figure out how to run the tack line back to a winch.

Lots of big boats with conventional spinnakers do this so they can run asymmetricals. No reason we can't do the same.

Edited by Bill Layton - 22 December 2014 at 4:30pm
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2014 at 6:03pm
My main objective is to find a solid place to put the tack block.  If I proceed with the asym idea, I'll strap the block with a belt like strap around the forward plate on the pulpit base. 
Regarding the pole, my needs may be different than others.  I want to jibe the pole. Using a conventional pole with tack line and guys, I think I can project sail away from mainsail cover, and pull the pole back to allow her to run deeper with the asym up.  Hopefully best of both worlds.  As Bill mentioned, larger symmetrical spin boats are doing this with asyms and finding success.  I think the conditions here on the Ohio River are a fit for this.  Because of barge lanes, we have lots of beamy/reachy races.  The start line might be set properly to windward, but the W/L marks are just about always in the same place no matter what the wind is.    

Thanks for the input,

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2014 at 8:38pm
Sparkplug has a D shackle mounted at the bow for the tack line.  I have a small asymmetrical chute that came with the boat. If I was to do some serious distance racing I would fit the mast with an adjustable track on the mast for the spinnaker pole. Then you could drop the pole to keep it level and move the kite out in front of the boat. Then I could take advantage of the pole length and get an assy made to fit the pole with out a PHRF hit. 
 If you are distance racing PHRF you should look into the numbers.  A centre line tacked spinnaker get a 6 second credit.  But you can not use the pole at all.  The spinnaker will be smaller but it might be worth looking into.
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic