Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fuel shut off solenoid Bukh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel shut off solenoid Bukh
    Posted: 18 July 2013 at 4:29pm
The fuel shut off (stop engine) no longer works. ?switch or solenoid. I tried cross wireing at the switch, nothing (will check with multimeter) Is it then the solenoid? I need help with trouble shooting. Options? Can i get parts in US or after market or repair the solenoid? Can I put a valve into the fuel line as a short term fix?
Thanks  BobCry
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 5:13pm
Bob, mine died years ago. Replacement was $300 or more. I jetisoned the solenoid and installed a choke cable to the fuel shut of lever on the pump. The other end,the knob end, exited right next to the engine control pamel. No tight corners and support the cable evey where you can. Cut a slot in the access panel behind ,aft of, the head.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 5:44pm
I ran a cord from the hole in the fuel shut off lever to a bullet block mounted near the starboard aft motor mount straight up to a hole I drilled in the top of the engine bulkhead (above the sliding panel) and then ran it thru a small hole in the lazerette bin under the ignition panel. From there I just pull and it works fine. I haven't found a reasonable cost replacement for the fuel shut off selonoid either. 
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 8:31pm
Bill, I like your solution too. Seems that shut off lever on the pump is spring loaded, right? My choke cable was "off the shelf" ~$8 at at NAPA or Atouzone. Lubed it with 90w before I installed itbut suspect owner of 169 will need to replace it every 3-4 years. I jad taken the solenoid to a electric motor shopand the quote to rewind was $225 or something. I figured $8-10 every couple years was a fair trade off. The pull rope thru a block though is "brilliant" , Kudos to ya.
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 1:58pm
Kevin,Bill,
You guys make it sound so easy! I looked yesterday but could not find the lever on the pump.I
followed the fuel line to the lift pump, to the filter, to the injector. What am I missing?
Thank you for your help quick response.
Bob 
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 2:41pm
It's the lever that connects to the fuel shut off selonoid on the starboard side of the engine. You'll have to disconnect that selonoid.
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 2:51pm
Bob, when you remove the solenoid you will see that the plunger of the solenoid pushes/pulls an actuator arm. That is what I am calling "the lever". Sorry for miximg terminalogy. It has been a few years but I am pdetty sure the actuator isa spring loaded to the "run" position. That is why I like Bills simple fix. Elegant. Even though the solenoid wire is only hot when you shut down do make sure to tape it up good to imsulate it for the occaisional time you or someone else turns the key to the stop position. Keep us posted.
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 3:52pm
Bobs, take your solenoid off carefully. The accuator that the solenoid plunger pushes/pulls is the lever I refer to. Sorry about the terminology mix up. Rig a cord or choke cable to pull this lever/accuator. The accuator remains in the rum position until you pull it to shut off fuel flow.
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 11:49pm
Bill, Kevin,
Can you tell me exactly where the solenoid is located please.I looked for a wire to follow.
thanks   bob
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 6:54am
Bob, the side panel is best removed for access. Aft of the head on starboard, remove engine compartment panel.Slide it well aft. Now you will se the solenoid near the aft starboard base of the engine. As an aside , While you are there and with the engine not running have someone in the cockpit shift into forward and reverse so you see how the shifter works and what the cables connect to. Inspect thast area of the boat that you never see with the panel in place.
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 3:00am
Kevin,Bill
Thanks ever so much. I found the fuel shut off solenoid(well hidden). The wire had fallen
off,an easy fix this time and I now know what to do when the solenoid fails.
The forum is great.
Bob
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 8:51am
The solenoid will likely last forever if you don't leave the key in the shut-off position. In retrospect, I should have rewired my boat so the "shut-off" was a spring loaded push button.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 12:02pm
I put a 10 amp fuse on the solenoid wire so that if it gets left on it won't melt the wiring harness (like I've seen on a few boats) or melt the solenoid. With a normal functioning solenoid I started with a 5 amp fuse and it blew immediately so I went to a 7.5 amp and it worked but thought it may be on the light side so I went to a 10 amp fuse.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 11:28pm
If I am to wire a 10 amp fuse into the solenoid line, and want to do it at the engine panel end of the wire for ease of access, which wire is this?  From a diagram given to me by a previous owner of my boat, it appears to be the wire on the ignition switch at the 7 oclock position (black on my boat)?  See attached pic and diagram.  

Edited by Winner - 17 July 2017 at 11:28pm
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:43am
Yes it's the black wire and also I just did this job on another boat and the solenoid draws 15 amps. So 15 amp fuse minimum. Just to confirm the back wire is correct... unplug it from the #7 position and try to turn the key so the solenoid turns on... you will hear the clicking if it's trying to do so. If you hear nothing then u have disconnected the correct wire.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 11:17pm
Sorry it turned out that 7.5 or 8 amp fuse is best. The 8 amp fuse took 13 seconds to blow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic