Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lifeline netting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifeline netting
    Posted: 09 July 2013 at 9:22pm
I'm hoping to start taking some family trips with the boat.  My wife is learning to sail. We have a 6 year old and a 2 1/2 year old.

I'm hoping to get some lifeline netting rigged for safety reasons but with the toerail not having holes in it I'm unsure how to attach the netting at the bottom.

Has anyone installed netting before on the L28 and if so what worked for you?

Thanks
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 1:26am
If you have any spare rail cars, or if while cruising you are not going to use the ones you have, then you can tie a length of thin dyneema very tightly from through the base of the stanchions with say one intermediate on the rail between each stanchion. The dyneema has very little stretch, so if you get it really tight, you can use it to tie the bottom of your netting to.

Happy cruising! I am hoping to go the end of next week for 2 or 3 weeks.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 9:28am
I have no rail cars (didn't come with boat).  Where do you recommend I get some?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 9:42am
Each boat came with 4 of these Schaefer 3/4" sliders that fit the toe-rail
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 9:10pm
$77.50 each? I remember buying one for 40 something a few years ago. Inlation I guess
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 11:12pm
What do people use these for?  Barber haulers and such?  To buy 4 of them I'm looking at close to $300 and am wondering if it's worth it?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 11:38pm
They were used for the original spinn tweaker and barberhauler which most don't use anymore. The toe-rail doesn't take much load before it collapses. The wall thickness is only .049,  Point to point racers can barber haul from the middle stanchion base or other areas and the spinn tweakers are upgraded as in the pics in the link below.

Edited by Bill Layton - 11 July 2013 at 11:40pm
Hoodoo View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 3:35pm
Hi,

I drilled our toe rail each 20" so we could pass a small line between the holes and the top lifelines. Lines will hold the kids if they fall. Good thing is that adults will still pass their legs when sitting on the rail. PM your email and I'll send you a pic of our boat.

We have three kids on board (8, 5 and 3) and we feel really safe with this system.

JF
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 8:59am
These lifelines are 24" high correct?  Just double checking...
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 9:18am
Yes that is correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic