Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Simplfeying the mainsheet"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Simplfeying the mainsheet"
    Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:26pm
As we are underway into our second season, I have now decided to tackle the rat nest of main sheet and traveler lines that we have. Currently we have a harken traveler (not a windward, leeward) that works well, but I am looking at the original schaffer 4:1 mainsheet and the added 8:1 block and tackle. I set this up per the manual, but it is been cumbersome to deal with after every tack.

So, I am sure some of you have made some changes and would like to hear your suggestions!
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:38pm
I removed the fine tune and use just the 4:1 but I added a becket to the top of the mainsheet block so I dead end it there. It works fine and find that I don't need the extra purchase of the fine tune system.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:49pm
"I removed the fine tune and use just the 4:1 but I added a becket to the top of the mainsheet block so I dead end it there. It works fine and find that I don't need the extra purchase of the fine tune system. "

I tried it with the 4:1 system and I have no problem with it, the wife likes the 8:1 but always seems to grab the wrong line! With the becket at the top of the mainsheet, does this eliminate the need to shackle the main to the cockpit floor? If so, and the anchor point on the floor is no longer needed, I see a project to remove another toe snubber!
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 3:02pm
I put a triple block on the boom and a fiddle-ish thing w/ becket and cleat on the car. I think that makes it 6:1. js
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 3:35pm
Correct dead end moves from pad eye on cockpit floor to the new becket on mainsheet block.... which also allows the traveler to work correctly. The harken traveler systems seem to handle the load fine.

Originally posted by Seawolf Seawolf wrote:

"With the becket at the top of the mainsheet, does this eliminate the need to shackle the main to the cockpit floor? If so, and the anchor point on the floor is no longer needed, I see a project to remove another toe snubber!

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 5:49pm
although I would leave the toe stubber installed in the unfortunate event that your main tackle fails and you need a different anchor for the boom.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic