Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast Pivot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast Pivot
    Posted: 16 June 2013 at 8:43am
Well I have the boat home. Pretty in eventful. I did manage to loose one of the mast pivot bushings. Anyone have any idea where I can get one. My other choice is to have a couple made. I pulled the mast step last night. The plywood between te deck and the liner was very rotten. It is going to be an easy fix. I would suggest rebedding the mast base to avoid having to do this repair. I might also suggest to oversize te holes and fill with epoxy and re drill to help seal the plywood.
Mike
Virginia H. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2013 at 9:27pm
I have removed the shroud bases and bolts. Bronze bolts and aluminum block makes a create weld material. Any tips on removing the mast step from the deck? The ss bolts are frozen to the aluminum step.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2013 at 9:37pm
Loosen the nuts from underneath 1/2 way and use a hammer to knock it upwards . Once loosened use a flat punch or another bolt and knock them out. 
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2013 at 9:51pm
Are the two slotted machine bold stuck or the two shoulder bolts that bolt the mast to the base. I would take the 3/8" nuts off the bottom off the mast base at the compression post. Then put some 3/8 nc nuts on the the bolts to protect the treads then just hammer them out from the inside. Chances are it is just stuck in the deck. Check the deck under the mast base carefully. The plywood between the liner and the deck was rotted on my boat. No big deal to fix.
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2013 at 11:17pm
both aft and forward bolts are frozen. Would heat help? I will also but brake free on the bolts.
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 11:30pm
I have removed both shroud bases and the mast step. The wood in the mast step looked like brand new except one had some water stain but was dry. Both shroud bases were soaked. I have caulked the outside openings and it seams to be fairly dry. The wood in the shroud bases seams solid. I plan to drill large holes and fill with West System and high density filler and then drill small holes for the bolts. That way if it leaks I know the wood will stay dry. I plan to put tef 45 antiseize to stop the corrosion on the aluminum block.
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2013 at 9:44pm
I have stepped the mast. I may have adjusted the shrouds to soon. The mast step has a gap on the port front between the step and the mast base bolted to the deck. Any ideas to correct? I will try by putting slack in all the rigging, put tension on the fore stay and then try to screw down the forward nuts tight. Then tune the rig. Should I use the spin halyard to check side to side?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2013 at 10:50pm
Tighten the forestay down before you tighten the mast base nuts..... opposite when taking down the mast. Then measure shrouds on each side from shroud base pin to top of swage. Make sure lowers and uppers are equal to each other. Then tighten mast base nuts. Then visually verify if mast is in column. Adjust to fine tune. Then adjust shroud tensions to support your current mainsail. Spinn halyard isn't a reliable method. Shroud base measurement seems best.
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 7:11pm
I found out my problem on the mast step. When we were raising the mast a small piece of aluminum fell out of the mast and was lodged between the plates. I put slack in the head stay and tightened up the back stay with the nuts off of the base. I was then able to take a long skinny knife to clear the scrap metal. Fits perfect now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic