Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

folding prop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: folding prop
    Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:48pm
File this under "silly questions" but I just want to be sure.

I've been told to get the prop to fold, to place the engine in gear and move the handle forward while under sail.  

Assuming this is correct, if the engine is in gear and forward when I turn it off (after hoisting sails) can I just leave it there and the prop will fold automatically?

Thanks.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 1:41pm
Yes, It just has to be in gear.... any gear. All the way fwd implies full throttle, which is well past being in gear. Since we are only supposed shift it into gear with the engine running at idle, I leave mine in fwd idle position and turn it off in gear and then after sailing I start it in gear. (in the same position) The reason for all of this is it is a direct drive transmission, same as an outboard. 

When shifting from neutral into gear you are supposed to do it firmly and quickly. If you hear the gears grind you are going too slowly. Remember you shift from neutral into the desired gears idle position. Never shift the transmission while not at idle or you will break gears and those parts are no longer available and must get repaired at great cost. 

Edited by Bill Layton - 27 May 2013 at 1:45pm
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 2:23pm
OK so basically leave it in gear (red button pushed in) in idle so one click forward from the upright position?

I find the handle gets knocked around by the jib crew during races so I always check it's position before starting the engine.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 2:27pm
Correct button pushed in... when button is pulled out the lever acts only as a throttle. Also the handle with red knob gets pulled out for sailing, it's removeable. 
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 3:28pm
Hilarious.  I didn't know that.  Do you just unscrew it?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 3:44pm
Just pull on it!  Cool
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 11:08pm
my throttle has gotten a bit funky- I must unscrew the gear engagement knob to get the throttle to move forward-any ideas?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:31am
Sounds strange. The gear engagement knob is not threaded. It just pulls out, so there is no relationship to screwing it. Your problem must be in the linkage which is not complicated. It is mostly visible both inside the starboard quarter birth where the linkage directly from the shifting lever is located, and via the sliding inspection hatch on the engine cover on the starboard side. Additionally, that entire piece of ply is easily removed to work on things in there. It is important that you are betting full throw in the shifting, which is easy to see down there. You will need someone in the cockpit moving the shifting lever while your below inspecting what actions are taking place. The actual linkage that comes up from the sail drive is ch and then you can activate the shifting directly from the sail drive by hand to see how far it travels when it engages. Your linkage must assure that it goes all the way.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:00pm
I had a similar problem. The pull button disengages the shifter and keeps it in throttle mode. But somehow the button was sitting in a position 1/2 out and it would cause the shifter to jam or not function. I had to change the shifter. I learned that if I pushed the button in while trying to shift gears it would work. If yours won't do this it may be too late. Unfortunately these shifters are no longer made and the best replacement would probably be the spinlock shifter that has the removable handle.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 3:25pm
Make sure the button is screwed in all the way. It's pretty easy to unscrew and I don't think it works unscrewed.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 8:27am
Today our throttle handle went AWOL. Can't figure out when and how. So now I must either find a replacement or fabricate a new one. Any suggestions?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 9:58am
What a weird thing to disappear. A couple of years ago War Bird parked on the handstand next to Voila experienced the disappearance of her bottle (barrel) screw at the bottom of her forestry.

I guess that for some people, the materials and parts acquisition side of the project is just a simple matter of strolling through the club and spotting the items necessary. Weird!
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:31am
Actually the throttle handle disappearing is quite common. It's meant to be removed when sailing for this very reason. The Handle just snaps in place.... so when sailing if not removed, the mainsheet wraps around the knob and it pulls it out and it goes flying over the side without ever seeing it. When sailing the shifter is meant to be left in gear with the handle pulled out. (removed)

Edited by Bill Layton - 24 July 2016 at 10:32am
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 7:34am
We use an eye bolt now. js
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 10:06am
Should be a simple thing to machine another from stainless rod stock.  I'm happy to send you mine at the end of the season to use as a template if you wish.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic