Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring - Maxwell single winch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring - Maxwell single winch
    Posted: 27 April 2013 at 6:08pm
As I was cleaning the winches one lone spring went "sproing" on a Maxwell single (upper).  I have gone to local marine, hardware, and vacumn stores to no avail.  The diameter is slightly wider than a pen's spring and I am stuck - Help!   :( bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 9:18pm
Now if you were in Hong Kong I would know just where to send you, but alas you are not!

I don't know where to buy springs in North America. I am making a couple of spinnaker pole ends and need springs as well, but I'm going to Hong Kong in two weeks and will get them there. However, many places sell stainless steel spring wire. it is not hard to wrap your own spring if you don't find one. You may have to experiment a couple of times to get the mandrel the right size (just use a screw or something line that as a mandrel). Hold the shaft in the vice with one end of the spring wire trapped against the mandrel, then wind tight. You need to wind more length than you need so that you have ends to cut off and tidy up your new spring.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 10:26am
DO you want the spring or the entire winch and where do I send it?
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 10:50am
Just the spring and I will PM you. Thanks!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:13am
Hi Bill: the ring broke into 3 pieces when I attempted to remove it - obviously weakened by 30 years of sunlight and UV. I'll send it and the springs and maybe you can epoxy/replicate it somehow. I replaced mine with Harkens - simple job.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 1:35pm
I have replaced these by taking a piece of marine board (UHMPE) and turning it on a lathe. It then pops into place. It is an easy job for someone with a lathe. I also changed those winches to Harken #6, but I gave the Andersons to another Laser owner. I think I could pop that one off and copy it for you. I doubt epoxy will work because I suspect that the original was some kind of PE which epoxy won't bond to. Also, the UV broke down the old one, so the material is basically finished.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 2:23pm
Just curious, what type of Harken's did you replace them with?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 3:35pm
Like Ffletch, I used Harken B6's. Mounting holes don't match, however.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:38am
Actually I just checked and I used Harken 8's. we sized up a little because we frequently use them for spinnaker trimming.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 10:17pm
Got the package, have you checked PM?  Thank you!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:24am
Happy to hear that you got them. You asked in the PM how much I want, etc. Just pay it forward, as that is what I am doing. I have received a lot of good advice on this forum, and don't often have a chance to return the favour. I had the parts, didn't need them, and got a warm and fuzzy feeling helping out!
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:49am
Thumbs UpClap
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:58am
You are most kind, the winch is ready, we are in the water, and almost ready for season start next Wed!   Thank you for the gift, I will pay it forward! This community keeps this great boat a vibrant player and folks like you make this a true community! Thank you! :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic