Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plastic edge around companion way

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plastic edge around companion way
    Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:46pm
My 1985 laser companion way plastic edge looks like it has had many spinnakers launched from this area which has resulted in many rope burns that go down to the gel coat. Any ideas on a replacement?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 4:30pm
I would also like to hear about this one and don't have the answer myself. However as I work to renovate varies areas of the boat that surround this area, more and more it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 5:58pm
This was a custom made PVC or vinyl extrusion for Laser International by a manufacturer who's long out of business. There are a number of catalogs/suppliers online that sell different profile extrusions. I would look there for a replacement. It was installed with epoxy putty so that it wouldn't lift off. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 6:13pm
I just tripped on this. Might be about right. http://www.trimco.info/images/Illustrations-Large/Edge-Trim/C2015.jpg
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 6:18pm
similar indeed, except for the 1/8" thick square ends
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 8:01pm
Bill, that company has many different sections. Can you review them and then come up with a recommendation? I am not sure of the thickness of the kevlar/glass edge. I see they make edging trim for 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, etc. and there are several different sections for each. I will be down on the boat this weekend making last weekend preparation for the Southern Straits Race on the 29th which requires Cat II safety conformity. I can have a look and take some measurements when I am down there. Thanks.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 8:06pm
I would say the max thickness of glass would be 1/4", we actually routered the flange where it exceeded a 1/4" just so that the vinyl extrusion would fit properly

Here are more profiles:
http://britechindustries.com/uchannels/#profiles
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 8:16pm
That's good info. I had not guessed that it was that big. I will review the offerings of that company again in the 1/4 size.
Virginia H. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 8:19pm
thank you. i will try the sites for the trim.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 8:58pm
Bill. Do you think then that the C1014 from Trimco will do? That is 1/4" gap and is a total of about .78" long with round edge.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 10:50pm
13/16" looks longer than I remember. I think it's closer to a 1/2". Yes the profile is close. Most extruding shops will send you a sample if requested.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic