Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floor boards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor boards
    Posted: 25 January 2004 at 5:58pm

Hi,

I am thinking of replacing my floorboards.  Does anyone know the thickness of the original floorboards? 

Mine seem to be 3/8, but I don't know if they are original.  I have only been able to find teak & holly plywood in 1/4 and 1/2 inch widths. 

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2004 at 11:52am

Hi Dave,

Yes original cabin soles were 3/8" thick. We have the same problem in Canada too. 3/8" Teak and Holly hasn't been made here since 1991..

I replaced mine in 1993 and I used 1/2". The problem is the large cabin sole (Height problem where the steps sit on it) I used a dado blade on a table saw and cut out 1/8 on the bottom surface where it rests upon all the wood supports. This gave me the same original height so that fitting the steps wasn't a problem.

Unfortunately it's a little heavier but there isn't much else we can do. I found a company in Montreal who could make/laminate the marine ply but the cost was prohibitive. Good Luck!!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2004 at 4:22pm
I made new floorboards a couple years ago. I made my own 3/8 plywood by gluing a sheet of 1/8 inch mahogany ply to 1/4 inch teak and holly ply. I just rolled on some West epoxy, layed the sheets on top of each other, and put lots of heavy stuff on top. It would probably work even better if you used a laminate roller, or made some kind of press. I bought the plywood at Boulter plywood in Somerville, MA.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2004 at 12:20am
When I replaced Andanzas' floorboards I used 1/4" teak and holly ply and added a layer of fiberglass mat in resin on the back.  This makes it stiffer and protects from the damp in the bilge.  I don't know how this compares in weight but cost is minimal. The boards are a little lower than the originals.  To fit the steps you can add some nylon glides to the bottom of the lower compartment and adjust the height with a mahogany shim.  This protects the boards from scratches when moving the steps in and out to service engine.
Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2005 at 2:38pm

I also need to replace my floorboards. In my search I discovered a place that still carries 3/8" inch Teak and Holly plywood. Just thought I would pass it along....

Flounder bay boat lumber

1112 18th Street, Anacortes,Washington 98221-1503

Phone: (800) 228 - 4691

boatkit@flounderbay.c

Teak and Holly plywood

Teak and Holly plywood for cabin soles 4’x8’

1/4" $133.50

3/8" $161.54

1/2" $168.75

3/4" $198.00

2 3/8" plank width, 1/4" stripe

Teak plywood Type II glue (exterior but not boilproof)

1/8" $58.13 We also sell partial sheets

Teak plywood Type I glue (boilproof) Teak One Side Mahogany back

1/4" $72.85 We also sell partial sheets

1/2" $93.00

3/4" $121.50

Teak plywood Type I glue (boilproof) Teak both sides

1/4" $94.55 We also sell partial sheets

1/2" $135.00

3/4" $137.95

Chris Ross
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 10:08am

Here is another place to buy teak (3/8' = 9mm) plywood:  worldpanel.com

Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:15pm
I'm not looking to replace my floorboards (yet) but am wondering if anyone has any tips for general maintenance to keep them looking nice?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:55pm
When I first purchased my boat in 2008, I stripped the floorboards down to bare wood and then refinished with Perfection two-part PU. That's the best you will find for wear resistance. Next, be sure to add some rubber or felt to the bottom of your steps so that they don't mar your floor boards when you slide them out. All other measures are common sense......like no football cleats, etc.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 12:06am
Some of you may have noted from my previous post that I have been searching for reasonably priced glass/foam core pre finished panels. I am happy to report that Fiber-Tek Industries has quoted me a price of $3.78/ft2 for 1/2" PU foam with either 17 or 22 oz glass on both sides, with high-gloss gelcoat finish. That's cheaper than the 3/8" teak/holly ply which has been indicated in a previous post north of $5.00. If one is not stuck on the traditional teak/holly look, a foam/glass solution has tons of appeal and will weigh a fraction of the ply. I plan to re fit my entire enterior with it. See the following link: fiber-tech.net
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 12:09am
When you get your new floorboards installed I'd be interested in seeing a picture if you could post one.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 5:58am
I would like to see them too, do you have a link to the company so we can see what you are looking at?  Thanks!  :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:11am
The link is fiber-tech.net. The name of the product is Fiber Core.

When I spoke with them yesterday I failed to clarify if they require patters and then manufacture to custom shape, or whether only the widths of the panels are specified. Either way represents a large saving over using 4 x 8 when considering that the side panels to the engine compartment are about 27" and most of the other panels are less than 48" except for the height of the end pieces to the galley which I think are about 48". I have sent them a request for more specifics to include whether they manufacture or sell assembly hardware, such as aluminum corner extrusions and prefabricated edging material. Otherwise such panels require edging with something like teak trim, or one can rout out a small bit of the foam between glass layers and refill with epoxy filler and then finish. Either one of these methods is a bit of a chore.

I was recently on board an Andrews 28, which boasts as being a modern version of the Laser, and they have used all glass (or carbon) and foam for their interior. It is a very fresh look. I may ask the owner if I can have another look to see if I can figure out how they finished their edges.

I will report the information I receive from Fiber-Tech when received on this post.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic